Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've been using mint, since volume 7, and linux since 2005, and I have never seen a printer make such a fuss. i currently am using mint 12 and i ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

samsung printer problem !

I've been using mint, since volume 7, and linux since 2005, and I have never seen a printer make such a fuss. i currently am using mint 12 and i just bought a samsung ml 2545 printer, no matter what i try, it says error, use the proper driver. I'm stumped. do samsung printers just not work with linux at all ? I would have thought in 2013, any printer would. thanks for any advice.

oz
    forum.guy
    Hello

Looking at the openprinting.org website, your printer is not listed, but if it's a very new model maybe it hasn't been added yet:

Printers by Manufacturer | OpenPrinting - The Linux Foundation

I noticed on the listing that the 2550 is reported to work "perfectly", so if your drivers don't work, you could try those for the 2550 or some other closely related model. If your printer uses a PPD file, and you have access to that file either on an included disk with the printer or by download, you could try to set it up using the same instructions that I posted for another Samsung printer user earlier today:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/sus...tml#post920464

My own printers always get setup by that method and they work every time, or at least they have so far.
    oz

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Samsung provide a Linux driver here
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    thanks for the replies, this is crazy, I tried the 2550 and 2540, neither worked when i try a test page i get " printer idle" the driver on the samsung site elija mentioned is a tar file, and extracs to " not a file" in terminal ?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by bigvoo View Post
    thanks for the replies, this is crazy, I tried the 2550 and 2540, neither worked when i try a test page i get " printer idle" the driver on the samsung site elija mentioned is a tar file, and extracs to " not a file" in terminal ?
    You have to unpack the tar file that you downloaded, change to the appropriate directory in the unpacked data, and run the shell script to do the installation.
    Code:
    tar xvzf UnifiedLinuxDriver_0.84.tar.gz
    cd cdroot/Linux
    sudo ./install.sh
    If this is beyond your current level of comfort, ask more questions.

Just Joined!
    these are my notes from a similar problem with Samsung and Ubuntu however unfortunately this bulletin board software prevents my from posting web addresses. Please contact me if you need them.

Problem solved ML-1865 on 11.10. Remove all Samsung. Even the one that 11.10 offers without loading the Samsung universal driver must be removed. Then follow
    ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=341621 HOWTO Install Samsung Unified Printer Driver

thanks to tweeedledee.
    here are the details
    put this line into synaptic deb Samsung Unified Linux Driver Repository debian extra
    do this in a terminal wget -O - bchemnet.com/suldr/suldr.gpg| sudo apt-key add -
    do this in a terminal sudo apt-get update
    in synaptic select and install the samsungmfp printer driver
    add a new printer and select the samsung

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    I had no idea Samsung has a ppa. Anyway, here's your link HOWTO Install Samsung Unified Printer Driver
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Linux Enthusiast
    And here's how I got my Samsung working:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/cof...lly-works.html

Linux Newbie
    SOLVED! ok thanks for every one's help. I ended up taking he samsung back to the store and getting a HP...the exact same problem, I tried every method recomended here and all over the net. last night I installed "Mint 14" and the printer worked first click, so I think it was something in 12 that was just whack. no matter what I did. so it's 14 for me.