Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have tried to share ntfs drives from Linux mint to linux/windows boxes without any success. The drives show as available to my windows machines but are inaccessible (permission denied) ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Share ntfs drives from linux mint

I have tried to share ntfs drives from Linux mint to linux/windows boxes without any success.

The drives show as available to my windows machines but are inaccessible (permission denied) when i click on them.

How do I set the appropriate permissions in Linux mint 14 mate so that linux/windows boxes can access shares on my linux mint box.

I have installed samba, winbind and configured them both.

I am able to access windows shares from mint with no issue. I can call up windows machines by host name and my mint box. my linux mint box machine responds by host name when called upon by a windows machine. I am just unable to access my ntfs shares on Linux mint from other machines on the lan.

help please & thank you
    Last edited by dureal99d; 03-03-2013 at 03:23 PM. Reason: readers were confused when reading my question

Linux Guru
    Confusing post? You have tried 7?? 7 what? how does 7 fit in? Are you using windows 7? mint 7? Have you tried this 7 times?
    It seems after reading your post several times that you can access both ways by host name but not by IP but it isn't really clear. Clarify if that is the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by yancek View Post
    Confusing post? You have tried 7?? 7 what? how does 7 fit in? Are you using windows 7? mint 7? Have you tried this 7 times?
    It seems after reading your post several times that you can access both ways by host name but not by IP but it isn't really clear. Clarify if that is the problem.
    Perhaps i gave to much information.

Basicly what I am attempting to do is share my ntfs drives that are on my linux mint box with other machines on my network. I am having trouble performing this task due to permission problems when a windows/linux box attempts to access those shares.

I gave the earlier information to prevent uneccessary diagnostic related responses. seven (7) does not fit in the sentence I made an error.
    Last edited by dureal99d; 03-03-2013 at 03:23 PM. Reason: attempt to better explain

Linux Guru
    When you refer to 'ntfs drive' on your Linux Mint box, do you mean ntfs data partitions? Or do you have a windows operating system on the machine with Mint? Which machine(s) give errors? When you try to access the ntfs partitions on the Mint box? The standard method of access between windows/Linux system is to use samba software which you can install if it is not installed by default on Mint. What exactly are the errors you get?

Quote Originally Posted by yancek View Post
    When you refer to 'ntfs drive' on your Linux Mint box, do you mean ntfs data partitions? Or do you have a windows operating system on the machine with Mint? Which machine(s) give errors? When you try to access the ntfs partitions on the Mint box? The standard method of access between windows/Linux system is to use samba software which you can install if it is not installed by default on Mint. What exactly are the errors you get?
    Yes I am refering to ntfs data partition, no i do not have a windows os on my mint box. My windows and other linux boxs are giving errors when I attempt to access files on the ntfs data partitions that i have shared in linux mint. (for example in windows this would be simple files sharing) ( I think on linux it may be called remote folders?) anyways when i call on the linux mint box from another machine (aka windows, it shows the folders that i have told it to share, i just dont have permissions to access the data in the folders so i get a (permission denied, contact system administrator error)

Linux Guru
    I'm not really sure how you would resolve that. What are the permissions on the folders in question? Take a look at the link below, scroll down to Linux compatible permissions and Allowing Group/User. That might be of some help:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NTFS-3G

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    It seems that sharing data through SAMBA which is what I think you are trying to do requires the appropriate permissions for both Linux and SAMBA. Have a read through this basic guide and see if it helps at all.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent

Quote Originally Posted by elija View Post
    It seems that sharing data through SAMBA which is what I think you are trying to do requires the appropriate permissions for both Linux and SAMBA. Have a read through this basic guide and see if it helps at all.
    elija

I shall review this information you have provided me with and see if it helps at all, thank you!!!!