Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I am a complete newb with Linux. I just booted up Linux for the very first time last night. I am really considering converting (from windows) because every thing ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Screen Resolution

Hello,

I am a complete newb with Linux. I just booted up Linux for the very first time last night.

I am really considering converting (from windows) because every thing worked very well and seemed to run smoother and faster.

My situation is that I use this computer as a video hub on my family room tv. We watch Tv shows online, and use it for casual browsing. We currently have a 42" screen and sit about 8' from the screen. It is a 1080p newer Tv.

What I did in windows, which seems okay was set the resolution to 1440x900. This made the start bar, the icons and all the text in general, large enough to read. I still use the zoom feature on most web pages.

When I was changing the resolution of the screen on Mint Cinnamon, I only had a few options. I didn't write down what they were, but the standard one was 1080 x something and was the correct proportion but small. None of the other resolutions were proportioned correctly.

Is there a way to add more resolution settings to Linux Mint Cinnamon?

Thanks

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    How did you try to change the resolution? Depending upon the chip set and driver, Linux can handle just about any resolution, including so-called "retina" displays. My system runs dual 1920x1200 displays. It has an nVidia display adapter.

That said, you may need to reconfigure your /etc/X11/xorg.conf settings. Not simple, but not impossible. Read the xorg.conf man page: man xorg.conf
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Trusted Penguin
    Also check out the xresprobe package, which contains ddcprobe, a display detection tool.
    And there is read-edid, too.
    More on these utils and Ubuntu (Mint's base) here.

Just Joined!
    Thank you for the replies!

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    How did you try to change the resolution?
    I've only been in Linux a couple times now, so I may be stating this wrong. But there is a very standard "change resolution" similar to the way you change your screen resolution in windows control panel. I think it was the menu, then Settings on he bottom left. If gave you 4 or 5 different selections.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    you may need to reconfigure your /etc/X11/xorg.conf settings. Not simple, but not impossible. Read the xorg.conf man page: man xorg.conf
    Do you have a link? I'm new and I am not familiar with xorg.conf

Quote Originally Posted by atreyu View Post
    Also check out the xresprobe package, which contains ddcprobe, a display detection tool.
    And there is read-edid, too.
    More on these utils and Ubuntu (Mint's base) here.
    I think part of the problem is that I sit 8 feet away from the screen. Windows has a display detection application that tells what kind of screen you have and sets the resolution. The problem is detects the super high definition large screen and it sets this small resolution that is perfectly proportioned to the screen. It's nice that I can use every inch of the screen that way, but I can't see it unless I was sitting 2 feet away, similar to the distance you sit away from a computer monitor at a typical desk set up.

I'm willing to accept not using every inch of the screen if I can just make everything on the screen 4 times as large.

Since I am a real novice, and I don't write code. I was hoping there was a utility I could run to just give me a larger selection of screen resolutions to choose from. That is basically what I did for windows. I downloaded some application from microsoft and more choices were available for me to chose from on the "change resolution" screen.

I found this page from google:
    ht$$tp://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/877
    [added $$ becuase I am not allowed to post links]

which seems great, but I get to step one and I don't even know what a modeline is.

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by FourJacks View Post
    I don't even know what a modeline is.
    It specifies a resolution that your monitor (or TV) is expected to run at. They are an arcane art. Try looking at this list of modelines to see if it helps you. Perhaps your tv is listed there.

whs
    Just Joined!
    I had no trouble setting mine to 1680x1050. And 1440x900 was also available.

Just Joined!
    I agree with WHS just go to systems settings make sure you have computer plugged in to HDMI first then go to DISPLAYS and pick what you want, my tv has tons of resolutions I can pick, been using Linux for 3 years and never had a problem with choosing resolutions.Displaysnap.jpg If your tv doesn't except the resolution just pick another until you get the right one. Hope this helps