Find the answer to your Linux question:
So I have been considering changing over to Mint but I have a question, like with Ubuntu you can just upgrade from 1 release to the next, can you do ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Upgrading releases?

So I have been considering changing over to Mint but I have a question, like with Ubuntu you can just upgrade from 1 release to the next, can you do that with Mint?

oz
    forum.guy
    I personally recommend doing fresh installs rather than upgrades, but you can usually upgrade to a newer release, especially if going from one release directly to the next release:

How to upgrade to a newer release - Linux Mint Community

In some cases, upgrades can become problematic if you've skipped several releases.
    oz

I completely agree with oz. Upgrading to a sequential release should work out nicely. Key word: should.
    I've personally had problems doing so, so I like to back up my data and do a fresh install.
    Mileage may vary, but backing up data beforehand is never a bad idea.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Personally - I use Mint Debian Edition, point it at the Debian stable repo. Have been doing so since at least August 2010 with no problems, and only had to remove firefox and replace it with iceweasel. Every now and then run apt update && apt dist-upgrade.

Just Joined!
    Well I have my important stuff on a /home partition so OS installs won't make me lose my work, music etc.

Just curious Jon why do you use LMDE and then point it at debian instead of their own repo?

I like the look and styles available in Mint, but wanted the stability of Debian stable repositories. At the time I started using LMDE it used the Debian testing repositories by default.

I also setup other users in a similar way because it is easy for them to use, and easy to update. I prefer the command line for system updates and encourage others to do the same. I set the first user as the admin, and set the background to bright red which soon becomes irritating (so they dont login as admin) - and setup a regular user account for them to use. Update sources to point to squeeze (current stable) and run apt update && apt dist-upgrade ... and thats it. All they need to do is use the computer as a regular user and every now and then login as the admin and run apt update && apt dist-upgrade, follow the prompts and retain the default settings for almost everything ... if in doubt retain existing config files.

I know that LMDE has it's own repos now, but that would require use of gnome3 & is still less stable than Debian stable.

Whether you choose to use Mint, use LMDE and use Debian stable, testing or Mint repos is up to you but hopefully I have given you some idea why I use LMDE with Debian stable repos.

Ed: I use a separate partition for genuine user data, docs/photos etc. Home contains user config info as well as the genuine user generated data. When I do a fresh install I like to try the current system defaults so wipe home (actually I tend not to create a separate home partition anymore) and just mount user data partition after install. I can share data easily between distros. Again that's just my preference
    Last edited by Jonathan183; 03-15-2013 at 08:46 PM.

Just Joined!
    Hmm it may still be easiest for me to stick to Ubuntu and put Cinnamon on.

whs
    Just Joined!
    Hmm, this is not too encouraging. A reinstall is a lot of work. I am constantly fine tuning my Mint Mate. If I have to reinstall, I will have forgotten half of the stuff I made.

How often do new Mint releases see the light of day?? -- I usually go by the principle: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." So maybe that's the way I will procede.

Mint will have the same release cycle as Ubuntu. Mint Debian is a rolling release. I'm expecting the upgrade from one Debian stable release to the next to be quite straight forward so don't plan a re-install any time soon.

whs
    Just Joined!
    Thanks Jonathan, that's good to know. I would hate to lose my nifty setup.