Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a question about upgrading and hope someone can help... I've used SuSE for a long time and the one thing I loved was I could throw in a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

upgrading mint 13 for 14

I have a question about upgrading and hope someone can help... I've used SuSE for a long time and the one thing I loved was I could throw in a new distro release and upgrade but if I'm not mistaken, I can't do that with Ubuntu/Mint.

I had an error that was driving me insane that read "fatal error inserting vesafb no such device". When I'd boot, I would get this error after the login screen would attempt to login, only to repeat, after giving that error. My question isn't following this but want to give you an idea of why I ask what I'm about to... I tried updating the kernel, grub, blacklisting video drivers, etc. I now eliminated the error but the login screen, attempting to load mint, and going back to the login screen is still cyclical but with no vesafb error.

My question is this:
    If I'm not mistaken, I can't upgrade the new mint release like I am accustomed to with SuSE and I've read the documentation about the process of doing it but it seems like everyone says to simply back up your home folder, install the new mint, and copy back... in so many words.

If I do that though, my settings will be lost, I won't have the program settings that write outside of my home folder, things won't work properly, etc... right?

I got nowhere on ubuntu support, mint support, or here with the vesafb error. I tried (literally) 83 different things over 3 days, restored with clonezilla 16 times and kept trying. Completely redoing my system isn't an option. If I follow one of these guides that makes upgrading mint by installing the new version, copying files and folders back, etc, is it really that easy?

I gues I should simply ask: "What should I be prepared for when upgrading mint?"

Thank you for your help and your assistance is greatly appreciated!

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    This is written by Clem so should be fairly authoritive
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

Conkybots: Interactive plugins for your Conkys!

Linux Guru
    The tutorial link posted above is probably the best you will get.
    To clarify one thing which is indicated in the tutorial also, it is not backing up your /home folder, it is your /home partition if you have a separate /home partition.
    If you have your login problem resolved, you might be better off staying with Mint 13 unless you are having other problems as Mint 13 will have support after it has ended for Mint 14.

Just Joined!
    Elijah - Thank you so much for the link. This is truly one of the better I've seen.

Yancek - I can't get the login problem resolved and after 5 days, I just want my computer back. Upgrading is the only thing I can think of to bypass the issue. I've tried deleting the kernel, downloading new, recompiling, etc and updating grub, editing cfg files as some tutorials explained and the vesafb error is gone but the login screen cycles back to it. At this point, I'd still love to figure out the fix because learning the system is what makes it fun for me to use but from a productivity standpoint, it is killing me, hence the upgrade.

I'll probably clone the partitions and try the upgrade. If it doesn't work like I expect, I'll restore and start over where I am now. I've been hesitant to upgrade because I did it before ever reading any of the tutorials and when I logged in, it looked horrible. I'm sure I didn't do it right but will try it again the right way.

As for the support for 13 being around after 14, is that due to the 12.04 Ubuntu it's based off of?

Just Joined!
    I didn't even think of something... If I can't get past the login screen, will I be able to do the backup by booting from live cd? Ex: mount sda1, bind dev / sys / proc, chroot the directory, etc. I'm assuming if I ran the program after chroot, it would accomplish the same thing... Am I correct?

Linux Guru
    Support for Mint 13 and other releases shown at the Mint site and yes because it is based on precise pangolin:

Releases - Linux Mint

I don't know if you could do the backup as explained in the link. Only way to find out is to try it. You could just copy it to another drive but if you want system settings, I don't suppose that would work.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    I suppose you could use clonezilla to take a partition level backup
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

Conkybots: Interactive plugins for your Conkys!

Just Joined!
    That's what I usually do. I haven't made an image since December though and would like to keep the current image but still working around the login issue. I decided not to go with Mint 14 due to the supported time frame. Still trying (learning)...

Just Joined!
    Another way to go is to take advantage of Mint Backports which bring some features of 14 to 13. You might look into that option.
    Launch Software Sources and you will see the Backports option.
    I think this will get you the newest Cinnamon if you use that and also Nemo which is very nice.
    Read up on it and see if that might work for you.