Find the answer to your Linux question:
So I just installed Mint 14 KDE 64-bit yesterday and today I was doing some computer cleanup (deleting some some extra partitions created by dell and moving others around to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Partition Manager Crash

So I just installed Mint 14 KDE 64-bit yesterday and today I was doing some computer cleanup (deleting some some extra partitions created by dell and moving others around to have a free partition for files). So I was in the process of moving my windows partition to the left and it got to around 21% when the partition manager crashed on me! Now I am left with an unbootable windows, which I cannot reinstall because I don't know the key #! (I also have some less important files that I didn't backup but I would rather keep). I tried running a disk check in the Partition manager, but windows is stuck in hibernate... Do you guys have any input on the matter? I would really appreciate it, thanks!

I also posted in the newbie section, sorry if there's a problem with that guys.

Linux Guru
    How were you changing these partitions, using Mint? a Live CD of GParted or some other partition manager? something else?
    Can you still boot Mint? Can you mount the windows partition(s) and view the files?

Just Joined!
    I was changing these partitions within mint, so just using it's standard partition manager.

I didn't touch mint in the partition editor so I am still able to run mint perfectly andI was able to run some command I googled to unmount windows and view the partitions.

Do you think windows is salvageable? If not, how would I go about finding my product key? Theres no sticker and I can't run windows to run magic jelly bean keyfinder

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    I was able to run some command I googled to unmount windows and view the partitions
    You would generally need to 'mount' a filesystem to view the contents. To modify the partitions, you would unmount them. If you can still boot Mint, open a terminal and run this command to get drive/partition information: sudo fdisk -l(Lower case Letter L in the command). If you look at the output of the command, the far right column - System - should show the type of filesystem. If you have one or more showing " HPFS/NTFS" then you still have windows partitions. You could mount the partitions to see if your data is still there if the partitions are not mounted.

sudo mount -t ntfs /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1
    The above is just an example. It assumes your windows partition is on sda1, if not change that to the correct partition. You would also need to have a mount point. In the above example you would have to create the directory sda1 before running that command: sudo mkdir /mnt/sda1. You don't need to name it sda1, choose whatever you want.

The link below expalins it but it is a .exe file to download which will only run on windows. Haven't tried it so don't know if it will work. He talks about using a Backtrack usb and since Backtrack is a fork of Ubuntu like Mint, just replace Backtrack with Mint in his comments:

Recover Windows Product Key When System Won't Boot [Tutorial] - YouTube

The link below is to a zip file for the same product which you can unzip in Mint. Haven't used either so I have no idea if it will work.

Enchanted Keyfinder | Free software downloads at SourceForge.net