Find the answer to your Linux question:
I added another user and tried to add that user to group sudo by entering it manually into the group file. I am just learning all this stuff. I see ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Group 'admin' has disappeared; now saying I'm not in sudoer file?

I added another user and tried to add that user to group sudo by entering it manually into the group file. I am just learning all this stuff. I see now that I should have issue the command from command line.

Anyway somehow, not really sure, now my original user no longer has sudoer privileges and I notice there is no longer an 'admin' group in group file.

Can anyone explain to me what is going on and the quickest way I can get my original user name to be associated with normal admin sudoer privileges again.

Linux Enthusiast
    Note: you may have to mount a live mint sytem, to find the "gid" (group id) that is assigned to the group admin unless another knows what it is and answers that part for you....

I normally do not use Linux Mint, so I do not know if there is an actual user, root, with a password that you have set. If so, log in as root via
    Code:
    su - root
    and enter the password for the root user account. You are now root and can edit the file:
    Code:
    /etc/group
    The format for the entries (each line) is:
    Code:
    groupname:x:gid:user1,user2,user3,...userN
    If it does not have an actual root account, then obtain (if you do not have) a liveCD/liveDVD/liveUSB Mint media that you can boot from. Here you can become root and then you will need to find the "/" partition (on your drive not the live system) and mount it somewhere (make a folder in '/tmp" and mount it there . Then edit the file as above, umount the "/" partition and reboot from your hard drive.

Is this enough information, or do you need more?

Just Joined!
    Is this enough information, or do you need more?[/QUOTE]

Thanks for help. I found guide for restoring original admin config:

+boot to recovery mode
    +select "check all file . . . "
    +select "drop to root shell prompt"
    +enter: usermod -a -G admin username
    +exit

There were a few steps in between that were self explanatory, but that 'seems' to have fixed problem.

For the last few weeks I have been trying to expand my linux knowledge and purposely tinkering with stuff and when something breaks I use that as a new lesson. The next thing I want to understand is what mint meant when it told me that it is best to put a local file in sudoer.d rather than messing with sudoers file itself. Said something about parsing that i didn't quite understand but anyway that is waht i want to learn next.

Linux Newbie
    Here is a good read on users and groups. It's form the Arch Wiki but should work on all Linux distros.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Users_and_Groups
    Last edited by atreyu; 05-09-2013 at 12:27 AM. Reason: added link on behalf of OP