Find the answer to your Linux question:
How does one give an added user the same exact privileges as the original user setup during install of Linux Mint 14. This is not a duplicate of a previous ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Command to give new user EXACTLY same privileges as original user acc?

How does one give an added user the same exact privileges as the original user setup during install of Linux Mint 14.

This is not a duplicate of a previous post but in that post I mentioned the need for an account that can be fixed just by creating a new account, but in that post I failed to ask the current quetion.

What I want to do is use added user to try out different things but keep orig account for basic tasks that wont clutter things up too much.

So to reiterate, after I have entered command: 'sudo adduser johndoe' what is the quickest and best way to then make this new account an exact mirror of orig user account in terms of privileges. When using that account I don't want to encounter any b.s. If I can do it with orig. user I want to be able to do it in added user.

I am fairly new to admin level linux use.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    You can find all the groups of a user by running the id command, so for example
    Code:
    id elija
    uid=1000(elija) gid=1000(elija) groups=1000(elija),7(lp),20(dialout),24(cdrom),25(floppy),29(audio),30(dip),44(video),46(plugdev),100(users),102(fuse),107(scanner),108(netdev)
    Probably the simplest way (and I haven't tested this) is to use the usermod command. So for the above example and assuming that scanner and netdev are the only groups not already allocated:
    Code:
    usermod -G scanner,netdev new_user_name
    Have a browse through the usermod man page for more information.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent