Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've run into a bit of a snag. A family member has picked up a couple of old computers and the MS XP is scrambled on them. He doesn't want ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Make downloads portable

I've run into a bit of a snag. A family member has picked up a couple of old computers and the MS XP is scrambled on them. He doesn't want to mess with buying MS installation disks for them, he's seen my Mint and wants that.
    Problems;
    He doesn't have internet service and doesn't want to get it until he learns how to do some elementary work and setup on them.
    Both units only have older CD drives, so I need to install a trimmed Mint ISO that will fit on a CD. I haven't seen any Mint 13 CD sized ISOs so how do I go about building one?
    How can I build another CD with the trimmed and extra programs that I can install and be sure that dependencies are all met?
    One option I may go with is to bring his units to my place and install the trimmed ISO then add the trimmed packages plus some extras using my internet service, but this trimming and then adding packages without internet sounds like an interesting project that I should be able to reuse.

Trusted Penguin
    hi,

You can try Mint's mintconstructor program, it seems to do what you want.

As to solving dependencies, you could use apt commands, e.g.:
    Code:
    $ apt-cache depends apache2
    apache2
     |Depends: apache2-mpm-worker
     |Depends: apache2-mpm-prefork
     |Depends: apache2-mpm-event
      Depends: apache2-mpm-itk
      Depends: apache2.2-common

External DVD drives are fairly cheap. If the BIOS will let you boot from them, you can use a DVD to install Mint. If you or your family member can plug an ethernet cable into your router after installation, you could update the basic installation and install any progams you wanted.
    Registered Linux user #526930

Just Joined!
    I'll follow up on these. Thanks.