Find the answer to your Linux question:
I recently installed Linux Mint(nadia) as a dual boot alongside Windows 7. The install went fine as far as I could tell until I went to reboot my computer. When ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

error: invalid EFI file path

I recently installed Linux Mint(nadia) as a dual boot alongside Windows 7. The install went fine as far as I could tell until I went to reboot my computer. When the computer restarted the grub boot menu showed both the Mint and Windows boot options but when I try to boot to Windows all I get is the message "error:invalid EFI file path". My bootinfoscript results are attached to this thread. Does anyone have any help that they can give?? Thanks for your time!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Linux Guru
    sda3 in your output shows "/wubildr /wubildr.mbr" which means you did a wubi install using the mint4win program. What this is supposed to do is install Mint inside windows as a program and create a boot menu entry for Mint in the windows boot file. Since you don't have any separate Linux partition, this seems to be the case.

Did you have a previous installation of Linux? I see you have a menu.lst file and Mint hasn't used that for the last 4-5 versions. I've never used the wubi type install so you might google it and see what you can find about how the boot processs works.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by yancek View Post
    sda3 in your output shows "/wubildr /wubildr.mbr" which means you did a wubi install using the mint4win program. What this is supposed to do is install Mint inside windows as a program and create a boot menu entry for Mint in the windows boot file. Since you don't have any separate Linux partition, this seems to be the case.

Did you have a previous installation of Linux? I see you have a menu.lst file and Mint hasn't used that for the last 4-5 versions. I've never used the wubi type install so you might google it and see what you can find about how the boot processs works.
    The menu.lst file must be left over from when I had Mint 10 installed. As for the wubi install, I installed Mint using a liveCd. I inserted the CD, booted to Mint and then installed using the option "Install alongside Windows".

Since I posted the thread I have found a way to boot windows from the Window boot loader and Linux from GRUB but I cant do Windows from GrUB and vice a versa.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by frostje View Post
    The menu.lst file must be left over from when I had Mint 10 installed. As for the wubi install, I installed Mint using a liveCd. I inserted the CD, booted to Mint and then installed using the option "Install alongside Windows".

Since I posted the thread I have found a way to boot windows from the Window boot loader and Linux from GRUB but I cant do Windows from GrUB and vice a versa.
    The Windows boot loader isn't going to make a Linux boot possible, but I've had no trouble getting Grub to boot Windows. I've not tried your specific configuration (mine is XP and Lucid) but you should get the same results as follows:

Install Windows from Windows disk, leaving partition space for Linux.

Install Linux from Linux disk *NOT* choose the install alongside Windows option. Let Linx reconfigure the partitions - it won't screw up Windows. Grub will find the Windows boot information and stick it in its menu. Should work no troubles, although I have no experience with EEFI motherboards. Good luck!