Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi guys (first post), I have a great friend that was so kind as to set me up on his server with a version of Mint and said have at ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

SSH -- Wanting GUI, sysadmin beginner!

Hi guys (first post),

I have a great friend that was so kind as to set me up on his server with a version of Mint and said have at it! I have taken a few Linux courses, so I'm okay with the CLI but I want a GUI to play with.

I am running the machine via SSH on a different than usual port for SSH and don't have direct access to the machine. I want to use what I have and display a "team viewer / logmein" style GUI where I can interact, but I only have the 1 port to play on. I know the port as well.

Thanks in advance!

You have a couple of options. You can forward X events over the ssh connection, there's an option you put in your .ssh\config to do that, or you can specify, (iirc) -X on the ssh command line.

You could also run a VNC service on the remote end and forward the VNC port over the ssh connection.

Take a look at the man page for ssh config to find out how all of these things can be done (they are pretty simple in practice). You need to specify the X or port forwarding on the client, but there are server overrides that can turn off these features, so if it doesn't work you may need to change the sshd_config on the server.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/