Find the answer to your Linux question:
When using the: Code: sudo adduser john It queries you for a full name, room number, and telephone numbers. Where is this information (Name/numbers) stored and how can you change ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Mint Credentials at adduser

When using the:
    Code:
     sudo adduser john
    It queries you for a full name, room number, and telephone numbers.

Where is this information (Name/numbers) stored and how can you change the requested "queries" for the adduser command?

Quote Originally Posted by kazunesisco View Post
    When using the:
    Code:
     sudo adduser john
    It queries you for a full name, room number, and telephone numbers.

Where is this information (Name/numbers) stored and how can you change the requested "queries" for the adduser command?
    It is just meta-data about the user, and is inserted into the /etc/passwd file.
    I help administer a number of Linux file servers, with many users (Debian Squeeze). It always asks the same stuff when we add a user (full name, room number, etc), but, frankly, we never use that info.
    Interesting question, though. I have just tried adding a user "john_test" on my own home system (Ubuntu 13.04), including a unique name, "john1234" for the answer to the "Full Name []:" question.
    When completed, I tried to "find" or "locate" that same string, with no success. I did a "grep -r 'john1234' *" from the root directory (so that it looks everywhere). It took a long time, and found only the following:
    etc/passwd:john_test:1001:1001:john1234,,,:/home/john_test:/bin/bash

This is, of course, only showing that there is a user called john_test, with a home directory, and a full-name string john1234.
    There is a nice description here: Understanding /etc/passwd File Format
    for understanding the /etc/passwd file which may be or more use.

Hope this all helps.
    Last edited by reginaldperrin; 05-26-2013 at 12:17 AM. Reason: fix typ[os

Just Joined!
    I'm sure though that when you enter data that it has to have went somewhere, I mean it wouldn't ask for no reason :P

Hmm, I want to use this as a practical application, perhaps even modify this functionality.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    "I want to use this as a practical application, perhaps even modify this functionality"
    Then I would test it our as I did above, and grep for the unique strings that you entered in the test. That will tell you where it went, and, from there, you can work out how to extract and use the information later.

Just Joined!
    I have and it isn't found, but it is there somewhere.

Anyone else have an idea?