Find the answer to your Linux question:
So I have a distro on a remote server that I can't access, Mint 10 Juila. I have been told it may be a bit old, and as such is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Julia -- Useless now?

So I have a distro on a remote server that I can't access, Mint 10 Juila. I have been told it may be a bit old, and as such is the reason that I can't apt-get with it's repos. Is this system to old, or is there a set of new repos that I could add that would allow for some "newer" content without having to reinstall the entire distro?

Thanks!

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    Linux Mint is now at version 14, so its probably best to do a clean install if you can, rather than trying to do an upgrade. So much has changed since Linux Mint 10, so attempting an upgrade will probably result in some things getting broken on your system.

Just Joined!
    This is going to sound stupid, but is there a way to upgrade to say 14 in steps just changing pieces out? Like Kernal first, then applications, etc etc? I don't have access to the machine to physically install, I'm looking for a practical way to get more out of the system without having to bug my server admin, he's not one with a lot of time :P

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Take a look at the link below which explains how to do a package upgrade. Don't know if it will work or how well it will work if it does skipping several releases. Support for Julia ended in April, 2012 and as indicated above, the developers select specific releases for LTS (long term support). The most recent LTS release is Mint 13 which will have support until April, 2017. The package upgrade is not recommended unless you are an expert but, read the link yourself, Section C2.

How to upgrade to a newer release - Linux Mint Community