Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello I need help making disks and flashdrives bootable. I know this sounds basic it is in windows. But I seem to have a lot of trouble in linux. I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Writing isos to disks and making stable bootable flash drives

Hello I need help making disks and flashdrives bootable. I know this sounds basic it is in windows. But I seem to have a lot of trouble in linux. I use bresario to burn isos but every time I try is says that it has to detect the size of the iso before it can burn it and it stays like that, it freezes/crashes. Then I go to put the iso on a flash drive. I use the defauld program to do so. The usv image writer. It goes all the way through the process says it finished successfully and i go to boot from it and it just won't boot goes straight to my main os. I have tried unet bootin but it just installs the bootloader for some reason and not the os?? please help!!

Linux Newbie
    Hello awesomepilot. Thank you for writing. I usually use unetbootin and don't have much trouble. I'm pretty sure there is at least more than one tutorial explaining how to use it. You can read a bit on their website to see distros supporting the program and how to successfully make a bootable distro.

Assuming you have a bootable live CD iso image file, you should choose the second bullet (Diskimage), select ISO from the dropdown menu, then search the file and selecting it by clicking on the "..." on the same row.

After that, just make sure your USB stick has been unmounted and formatted (I usually go with FAT32). then select USB Drive and the Drive matching your USB disk.

On the other hand, you could use "dd" command, which dupplicates disk (i.e. copies bit by bit the content of the iso file). I'd recommend you to read the manual to check the options, but a basic usage example would be:
    Code:
    dd bs=4M if=[fullpathandfilenameoftheiso] of=/dev/sdx
    Just replace the "sdx" with the correct name matching the device listed as your pendrive / usb HDD.

One important thing about dd command is that it leaves the rest of the disk space unusable. For example, if you have a live distro whose ISO occupies 2.0 GiB on the regular HDD and your USB stick / HDD is 4 GiB, it will write 2.0 GiB and leave the rest unusable (until you format the device).

I hope I could help.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Just to add to what ivotkl has already said, you can get a nice progress bar for dd by using the pv command. If pv isn't installed, it should be in the repository.

Code:
    pv -tpreb [fullpathandfilenameoftheiso] | dd bs=4M conv=sync of=/dev/sdx
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Both replies are good. I also use unetbootin to make bootable flash drives, and k3b to burn ISO images to CD/DVD discs. The thing I like about k3b is that it provides a nice, and intelligent gui, in front of the command line tools that burn discs, allowing you to control write speed, buffering, and other such quite well. It has a lot of other uses as well, but that's my main application for the tool.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!