Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
First things first, I downloaded UNetbootin, Universal Netboot Installer from UNetbootin, Universal Netboot Installer - Browse Files at SourceForge.net unetbootin-linux-584 (4.5 MB) which is a BIN file Unetbootin-jpg.jpg On trying ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

First things first, I downloaded UNetbootin, Universal Netboot Installer from
    UNetbootin, Universal Netboot Installer - Browse Files at SourceForge.net

unetbootin-linux-584 (4.5 MB) which is a BIN file

Unetbootin-jpg.jpg

On trying to open it:
    PHP Code:
    Could not display "/home/nmfd/Downloads/unetbootin-linux-584"
    Do you want to search for an application to open this file?
    PHP Code:
    Installing mime type handlers isn't supported 
    Q: How do I open it

Oh well maybe this:
    chmod +x ./unetbootin-linux-584

Nope, now nothing happens, not even an error message.

I have checked in properties that it is checked as an executable file,
    apparently there are no programs yet installed to open it.
    PHP Code:
    To search and install software which can open certain file
    types you have to install app
    -install-data
    Do you remember the code:

sudo apt-get install data???

Thanks,

Wrenchman

Linux Guru
    Unetbootin should have been installed through

Code:
    sudo apt-get install unetbootin
    Get rid of the downloaded unetbootin.

Reason. Unetbootin has dependencies it needs to run like mtools and pzip. So just install like I say and in menu search bar. Type in Unetbootin and launch it.

Linux Guru
    I open unetbootin by clicking or in the case of the Ubuntus, double-clicking and being prompted for the root password and then it runs.
    What are you planning to do with unetbootin? I though you successfully installed Mint? You should have created the swap during install as I suggested in my previous post. During the installation, you would have selected free or unallocated space and clicked the Add tab below the window and you would have had the option to creat a Primary or Logical partition and you should have selected Logical. You now have four primary partitions and even if you resize/shrink a partition, you won't be able to create more. You haven't indicated how much RAM you have. You may not need swap. Usually there are warning messages about not having swap but it doesn't prevent the system from functioning.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    You have 4 primary partitions which is all you can have. If you want to make a swap partition you will need to create an extended partition and put your Linux root in a logical partition along with a swap partition.
    Unless you want to use suspend to disc you will not need a swap partition, you can use a swap file if you want. If you have a couple of gig of RAM then I would not bother with a swap partition anyway.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by yancek View Post
    and why you didn't use the 200GB of free space you have.
    You should have created the swap during install as I suggested in my previous post.
    The two quotes are contradicting themselves, just my humble opinion, and the word swap was not mentioned in your previous post.

PHP Code:
    inxi -
    System
    :    Hostnmfd Kernel3.8.0-19-generic x86_64 (64 bit)

DesktopGnome DistroLinux Mint 15 Olivia
    Machine
    :   MoboLOGIN modelH61H2-M2 version1.0
    Bios
    :      American Megatrends version4.6.4 date04/12/2012
    CPU
    :       Dual core Intel Pentium CPU G620

(-MCP-) cache3072 KB flags:
               (
    lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx

Clock Speeds11600.00 MHz 21600.00 MHz
    Graphics
    :  CardIntel 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated
               Graphics Controller 
               X
    .Org1.13.3 driversintel (unloadedfbdev,vesa)

Resolution1366x768@59.8hz 
               GLX Renderer
    Mesa DRI Intel Sandybridge Desktop GLX
               Version
    3.0 Mesa 9.1.1
    Audio
    :     CardIntel 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family High
               Definition Audio Controller driver
    snd_hda_intel
               Sound
    Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver:

k3.8.0-19-generic
    Network
    :   CardQualcomm Atheros AR8151 v2.0 Gigabit Ethernet driveratl1c 

IF: eth0 stateup speed100 Mbps duplexfull mac:

c2:9c:fc:d5:36:23
    Drives
    :    HDD Total Size500.1GB (1.0used1id: /dev/sda modelWDC_WD5000AAKX size500.1GB 
    Partition
    ID: / size206G used4.8G (3%) fsext4 
    RAID
    :      No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present
    Sensors
    :   System Temperaturescpu41.0C moboN/
               Fan Speeds 
    (in rpm): cpuN/
    Info
    :      Processes166 Uptime2:09 Memory1855.9/3861.2MB Client:

Shell inxi1.8.4 
    You haven't indicated how much RAM you have.
    $ less /proc/meminfo
    PHP Code:
    MemTotal:        3953844 kB
    MemFree
    :          649220 kB
    Buffers
    :           57380 kB
    Cached
    :          1253600 kB
    SwapCached
    :            0 kB
    Active
    :          2339076 kB
    Inactive
    :         810608 kB
    Active
    (anon):    1853760 kB
    Inactive
    (anon):   278536 kB
    Active
    (file):     485316 kB
    Inactive
    (file):   532072 kB
    Unevictable
    :           0 kB
    Mlocked
    :               0 kB
    SwapTotal
    :             0 kB
    SwapFree
    :              0 kB
    Dirty
    :               564 kB
    Writeback
    :             0 kB
    AnonPages
    :       1838900 kB
    Mapped
    :           382052 kB
    Shmem
    :            293544 kB
    Slab
    :              83888 kB
    SReclaimable
    :      61952 kB
    SUnreclaim
    :        21936 kB
    KernelStack
    :        2848 kB
    PageTables
    :        26760 kB
    NFS_Unstable
    :          0 kB
    Bounce
    :                0 kB
    WritebackTmp
    :          0 kB
    CommitLimit
    :     1976920 kB
    Committed_AS
    :    4564380 kB
    VmallocTotal
    :   34359738367 kB
    VmallocUsed
    :      543224 kB
    VmallocChunk
    :   34359191516 kB
    HardwareCorrupted
    :     0 kB
    AnonHugePages
    :         0 kB
    HugePages_Total
    :       0
    HugePages_Free
    :        0
    HugePages_Rsvd
    HugePages_Surp
    Hugepagesize
    :       2048 kB
    DirectMap4k
    :       55296 kB
    DirectMap2M
    :     4055040 kB
    (END

What are you planning to do with unetbootin?
    Well you see... I don't know, it might come in handy in some near future. Actually I plan to install a standalone multi-boot system!

Thanks,

Wrenchman

Linux Guru
    I guess you missed the line below in my earlier post. That would include 'any' partition, data, swap, etc. The reason I mentioned the size of the partition is that if you used all the space, you would not be able to then create another partiton, whether it be for data, swap or whatever.

If you want multiple partitions, make sure you pay attention to the size of the partition in the Edit partition window.
    Unetbootin is a handy piece of software to have, no doubt. You have 4GB of RAM so you probably won't need swap unless you get some errors on the machine or it won't boot, which I doubt. If you do want a swap partition, you can't really do it without reinstalling as mentioned above because you have already created four primary partitions. If you do decide to reinstall and you are using free space, you need to select the Add button. You will then get a Create partition window where you ge the option to select Primary or Logical. If everything is working, I wouldn't bother making any changes.

Just Joined!
    Yes, I must admit that I completely passed by that phrase, I didn't think that I would need it, sorry, and btw, the mint 15 install occurred by accident, you see I followed your prompt to use the "200GB of free space" so therefore there were no space left, and then the install button went green, so I hit it, then the SwaP warning appeared, one more time I hit next because I thought that I would be able to go back, but then the back button disappeared so I was forced to continue until the end.

Also in the first attempts to install mint 15, after making 30720 bytes of ext4 root, the rest of the space went unusable, but in mint 14 that did not happen, in mint 14 I made both a root, a swap and a home folder for the rest of the space left.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrenchman View Post
    but now the rest of the 170000 bytes configures like Unusable
    Wait a minute , I wasn't supposed to click on the free space was I, I should have clicked the recently created ext4 primary partition, right? I don't know what went through my head, I was quite certain that if I did that I would "dissolve" the ext4 that I had just made.

Dude am I green

I'm still very confused though and not sure about anything, I desperately need a tutorial course.

Thanks,

Wrenchman

Linux Guru
    If you highlighted unallocated space in the main partition window and clicked the Add tab, you should have seen a window labelled 'Create a new partition' and in that window you have options to select primary or logical (at the top), and below that to set the size in megabytes in the box. That's where you would set the size. If you did not use the entire 200GB (10-20GB should be more than enough for Mint) you could then use the remaining space to create other logical partitions including swap and, if you want a data partition where you can store personal files such as movies, pictures, music or whatever.

after making 30720 bytes of ext4 root, the rest of the space went unusable
    That means you already have 4 primaries so you can't create another partition. Usually, the fourth primary is used as an Extended partition in which to place logical partitions.

Going back to your post (number 4) where you posted the fdisk output, it shows three partitions, all windows. At that point you still had the opportunity to create multiple logical partitions for Mint filesystem, swap, data, etc. If you want additional partitions, your only option now is to delete the Mint partition, reinstall and create multiple logical partitions. As I said above, since it works there is no reason to change until you get more experience.

You should do an online search for 'how to install linux mint 15'. There are numerous tutorials even on youtube with visuals which might help.
    Another thing just for informational purposes, Mint and some other Linux distributions have LTD releases (Long Term Support). With Mint, Mint 13 is LTS and will have support long after support for Mint 15 is ended. See the link below.

http://www.linuxmint.com/oldreleases.php
    Last edited by yancek; 06-12-2013 at 10:58 PM.

Just Joined!
    Yea you're right, I appreciate your help, I'll stay with mint 15 until I get the basics, by the time mint 15 ends I might even be trying Ubuntu or even a fourth!

I'm already having some strange desktop problems, happened after I did a backup recovery from mint 14 using deja-dup.

Thanks,

Wrenchman

Linux Guru
    If you have it working it is a good idea to just stick with it until you learn. Mint is a good choice as it is quite popular and has good support forums and a lot of users and you should often be able to find an answer to a question just 'googling' it. One thing I have learned to do is to keep notes when I am doing something new and save to a file for future reference in case of a similar problem in the future. Enjoy Mint!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2