Find the answer to your Linux question:
PHP Code: $  inxi  - F    System :     Host :  nmfd Kernel :  3.8.0 - 19 - generic x86_64  ( 64 bit )               Desktop :  Gnome Distro :  Linux Mint 15 Olivia  I was reading a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Does my distro use Debian, Ubuntu or both?

PHP Code:
    inxi -F   
    System
    :    Hostnmfd Kernel3.8.0-19-generic x86_64 (64 bit)  

DesktopGnome DistroLinux Mint 15 Olivia 
    I was reading a guide called Introduction to Debian Packaging - Part One, when I saw the below quote: From this site

debian_sources.list
    # This list is for Debian if you are using Ubuntu do not use this list.

Acording to Code: apt sources

# deb http://archive.getdeb.net/ubuntu raring-getdeb apps games

and this one which I have added from the referred guide

# deb-src Repository - Linux Mint isadora main upstream import

so deb = Debian... right?

Oh, and btw I found this too, maybe this can be helpful

PHP Code:
    cat /etc/*-release
    DISTRIB_ID=LinuxMint
    DISTRIB_RELEASE=15
    DISTRIB_CODENAME=olivia
    DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Linux Mint 15 Olivia"
    NAME="Ubuntu"
    VERSION="13.04, Raring Ringtail"
    ID=ubuntu
    ID_LIKE=debian
    PRETTY_NAME="Ubuntu 13.04"
    VERSION_ID="13.04"
    HOME_URL="http://www.ubuntu.com/"
    SUPPORT_URL="http://help.ubuntu.com/"
    BUG_REPORT_URL="http://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/" 
    Thanks,

Wrenchman

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    ,deb is the package format and yes that is the Debian format. The standard edition of Mint is based off Ubuntu which, while based off Debian is not binary compatible as it has had so many Ubuntu specific patches applied. Linux Mint Debian Edition is based directly off Debian testing albeit with it's own repository mirrors aimed at improving stability.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

Conkybots: Interactive plugins for your Conkys!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by elija View Post
    ,deb is the package format and yes that is the Debian format. The standard edition of Mint is based off Ubuntu which, while based off Debian is not binary compatible as it has had so many Ubuntu specific patches applied. Linux Mint Debian Edition is based directly off Debian testing albeit with it's own repository mirrors aimed at improving stability.
    Sorry I'm new at this, this quote just made me more confused.

But thanks anyway, someday I'll get there.

Wrenchman

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    No worries. It is very different to the Windows world and can be a tad confusing to beginners so I'll try and be a bit clearer.

There are various package formats in the Linux world. The deb format was originally created for Debian and is also used by all it's children such as Ubuntu and it's grandchildren such as Mint. A package is a piece of software with all the things it depends on described. You have probably seen that in action when installing a piece of software says "Hey!* I also need to install this, that and the other!"

Some of Debian's children are completely compatible with one of it's branches. Some are not. Ubuntu is one of the later as the distro developers have added many of their own or other peoples patches to the software. Some of the software may also be built against different versions of libraries than Debian.

Linux Mint is based off Ubuntu. This means it can use all of Ubuntu's repositories as well as it's own but it is not compatible with Debian. The Mint team also produce Linux Mint Debian Edition** which is ultimately based of Debian's testing branch. They maintain their own copies of the branch which is aimed at removing some of the risk associated with running software based on a branch designated as testing.

This is a family tree and time line for Linux.

* It's a pretty cool piece of software, but as it's Debian, it's not that up to date
    ** or as I call it "Lovely! Makes Debian Easy!"
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

Conkybots: Interactive plugins for your Conkys!

Linux Enthusiast
    Remember that a packaging system is not the same as a distro. There are RPM package management which has many GUI tools created such as YUM, ZIPPER, etc. DEB packages (which I do not use much and stay with "apt-get" on the cmd line). Gentoo and Funtoo use a packing system called "portage" which has it's origins in BSD Unix. With the proper package tools one should be able to install packages from another package system (however this is not always the case).

SuSE started life as a Debian-based system and yet it uses RPMs packages today.

Just Joined!
    Thanks elija and alf55 for the info, it does make slightly more sense now, and what a time line tree that is, wow.

Linux Enthusiast
    As it was pointed out, my mind is slipping away. The SuSE was a branch from Slackware and not Debian. Thanks DRL.

The original timeline (with history of images) is at[URL="http://futurist.se/gldt"]

Please see GNU/Linux Distribution Timeline for a great picture show the linage of the Linux Distros.

The same link data at another location: GNU/Linux Distribution Timeline
    Last edited by alf55; 06-18-2013 at 02:57 AM.