Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey, I have managed to get the drivers installed for both graphics cards (one is an integrated ATI HD 3000 and the other is an ATI Readon HD 6450 PCIe). ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Help setting up dual monitors - separate graphics cards

Hey, I have managed to get the drivers installed for both graphics cards (one is an integrated ATI HD 3000 and the other is an ATI Readon HD 6450 PCIe). Both are able to display a picture but not simultaneously.

Both cards are able to work together in Windows 7 so I know it is possible in terms of the hardware.

Also, when my 6450 is displaying X, my 3000 can display another tty screen (Sorry, I don't know the technical term) but not vice versa.

If any of you know how to help me it would be greatly appreciated, I have been trying to get this to work for weeks but just can't do it.

Linux Newbie
    It's been some years since setting up dual monitors and my memory ain't what it used to be... I can point you in the right direction but not walk you through it. The main thing is, you'll need to set up and configure a xorg.conf file (/etc/X11/xorg.conf). Most distros only auto-configure a single monitor and don't generate a xorg.conf file.

Setting up xorg.conf will depend on the driver you're using: radeon (open source) or fglrx (proprietary). It may be that the tty screen problem stems from which driver you're using... one driver may support that option while the other doesn't.

If you try both drivers, be sure to completely uninstall the first driver after installing the other, then reboot. The GUI desktop won't load if, say, you've just installed the fglrx driver and the radeon driver is still installed.

For some example xorg.conf files for radeon try this "xorg.conf"+"dual monitors"+"radeon" in a search engine. Here's a radeon example: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=131106 and here's a good fglrx wiki: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AMD_Catalyst