Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello Everyone, Currently Using Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon When using the software manager the only option available is to "install" programs, does anyone by any chance know if there is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Downloading From The Software Manager

Hello Everyone,

Currently Using Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon

When using the software manager the only option available is to "install" programs, does anyone by any chance know if there is a way to actually download the software installer files instead of just installing them?

Thank You All For Your Help

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Don't know about the software manager but from the terminal you can do that. For example to download filezilla and it's dependencies into /tmp/archives/ simply run
    Code:
    sudo apt-get -o dir::cache=/tmp -d install filezilla
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

Conkybots: Interactive plugins for your Conkys!

Just Joined!
    Thank you for your response,

I am still pretty new to Linux and the terminal is still foreign to me as of yet.
    I have to admit even the file system is still foreign to me as well, I have tried to look around and see if maybe the software manager downloads the program to a specific folder and then installs but I wasn't able to find anything,
    but I was able to get some help.
    It goes into the var/cache/apt/archive folder.

Thanks Again
    Last edited by paulcall; 07-05-2013 at 02:06 AM.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Yes but by default that will still be installed. I don't know if there is a way to stop the installation using Software Manager.

The command line isn't that scary really, it's all bluff and reputation. If you want to get started with it then have a look at linuxcommand.org.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

Conkybots: Interactive plugins for your Conkys!

Just Joined!
    Hey thank you for your response,
    Yeah I thought the same thing after I replied, you unfortunately have to install all the programs you desire first before you can save them. Not a huge deal but it would be nice not to have to install them first. Still open to suggestions if anyone has any more advice about the software manager.

You are probably right I am sure the command line really isn't as scary as I am making it out to be
    Thank you for supplying this resource, someday after getting a little more familiar with Linux, I may dive in, I would believe that just like with anything else a little at time. I used to use DOS a great deal in the past, but over time I stopped, I would the command line is very similar just with different commands.

Thanks again