Find the answer to your Linux question:
For the past couple of days now, I've been having a problem with Linux that I'm not entirely sure how to describe. But for the sake of fixing it, I'm ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Menu Panel Problem

For the past couple of days now, I've been having a problem with Linux that I'm not entirely sure how to describe. But for the sake of fixing it, I'm going to try;

Whenever I try to open the applications menu, be it to access the Software Manager, System Settings, or whatnot, Linux becomes almost entirely unresponsive. I can still move my cursor, and screenlets on my desktop still refresh, so it isn't freezing (at least in the typical sense), but any attempt to use the applications in the menu, leave the menu, or anything else I can think of simply doesn't work - it's stuck, completely unable to access, run, or do anything, or even respond in the very least. Any keyboard commands also refuse to work - except, thankfully, for ctrl-alt-backspace, allowing me to reboot without having to force shutdown (usually).

Confused, I tried to open my system settings from the shortcut I made on my desktop. I clicked the icon, and... nothing. I tried opening it as root. Nothing. No system controls, no error message, not even a window popping up for a split-second before crashing. It simply doesn't work. A similar outcome results from trying to open the Change Desktop Background option from the right-click menu on the desktop.

Speaking of the right-click menu, here is yet another issue I'm having that I believe is linked. Any time a menu pops up, it has a strangely "skeletal" appearance; this is most noticeable with the right-click menu, but it also happens elsewhere. I would show the right-click menu itself, but as the prt-scrn button doesn't seem to work with it up, I'll demonstrate with the terminal instead;

Screenshot from 2013-07-07 01:44:19.jpg

The "File - Edit - View" menu bar shouldn't look like that.

I have no idea what to do here. I'm guessing the problem is with the themes or something, but I don't know how to go about fixing it. I've tried everything at this point, from resetting Gnome settings to uninstalling screenlets to changing how the session opens and beyond - I'm at wit's end. I'm a Linux newbie, and due to the nature of the problem I don't know what information might be relevant - if there are any questions, feel free to ask, I'd be more than happy to answer.

Thank you to everyone who tries to help.
    Last edited by JetpackClam; 07-08-2013 at 12:20 PM.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Do any messages get output if you try and run system settings from the terminal?
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by elija View Post
    Do any messages get output if you try and run system settings from the terminal?
    Thanks for the reply. I looked up the command to run system settings from the terminal ("gnome-control-center", to be clear) and it said that I didn't have it installed. I installed it using the command it gave me, I think "apt-get install gnome-control-center", and once it was finished, I ran the command again - and finally, it worked. However, the desktop shortcut strangely still refuses to work, as does trying to change my desktop from the right-click menu.

At least I'll be able to change the settings now, though unfortunately the menu panel (and menu appearance) situation remains unchanged. Any suggestions? I'd very much like to not have to worry about rebooting every time I click in the wrong place.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I can't say I have ever heard of this and I'm not that familiar with Cinnamon but you could try running
    Code:
    cinnamon --reset
    which I understand will set Cinnamon back to it's defaults.

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Just Joined!
    I can't say I have ever heard of this and I'm not that familiar with Cinnamon but you could try running
    Code:
    cinnamon --reset
    which I understand will set Cinnamon back to it's defaults.
    Thanks a bunch, man. I'll try this now. I'll give an update on how effective it is as soon as I can get back - assuming something doesn't go wrong and I can actually access the internet any time soon.

*Update* I tried the command, and the terminal gave me this;

Code:
    cinnamon: Unknown option --reset
    Is there a typo in the command, perhaps?
    Last edited by JetpackClam; 07-08-2013 at 04:33 PM.

The doc's I found may have been out of date, another suggestion is
    Code:
    gsettings reset-recursively org.cinnamon

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Just Joined!
    The doc's I found may have been out of date, another suggestion is
    Code:
    gsettings reset-recursively org.cinnamon
    I entered the new command, and the terminal gave no output. I don't know if this means it worked or not, but upon rebooting I noticed no change - my desktop, user account, everything was still just as it was, and the problem still unsolved.

I'm going to try to make a new user account, and see if the problem carries over there as well. If it does, I take it it's a more deep-rooted problem that I thought.

Just Joined!
    Well, that didn't work. I created a whole new user, set its status to administrator, and, having no other options, deleted the previous profile and all of its files.

Nada.

I have no clue what to do at this point, save for installing a whole new OS. And, considering how I didn't exactly put that much thought into which Linux distro I'd want when I switched over from Windows (I figured that Mint was the default, and thus would give the least trouble), I suppose this is for the best; I actually have a chance to look over my options this time. I think I'm going to give Fedora a shot.

Thanks for your help, even if the situation didn't really work out in the end. Cheers, man ^^

Another possibility is a corrupt download. A corrupt download or DVD burn can give some very odd issues.It may be worth downloading again and checking the md5sum against the one on the Mint site. If you are burning a DVD, do so at no more that 2x and see if that works.

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Just Joined!
    That's fine; I already replaced Mint with Fedora, and honestly, I think it's much more suited to my needs anyway. Thanks for the help though!