Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ok , I think I have the driver from the brothers site in my home directory how/where do I put it so the printer can find it, does it have ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Drivers install for brothers mfc-j430w

Ok , I think I have the driver from the brothers site in my home directory how/where do I put it so the printer can find it, does it have to be in a certain file, or do I load it into the printer somehow. I'm lost any help would be appreciated.

Just Joined!
    I am not an expert but most time you do not need to install drivers to get your printer to work. Most times it is just plug and play try this...
    Just plug in your printer (and have it on) and restart your computer and it should work without having to install the drivers for it.

What is meant by "I think I have the driver from the brothers site in my home directory"? Either you do or you don't.

Did you check for the drivers in the Downloads folder?

Which drivers do you have? What are the extensions?

Did you SEE THIS?

Did you look for the drivers in the repository, I believe you use the same as Ubuntu, your drivers should be there?

Some instructions at Brother Drivers for Linux® distributions.

Did you try the Plug-N-Play as mentioned by reese.mitchell?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

The MFC j430w cupswrapper Deb 3.0.0-1 i 386

There is no driver in my driver list that came with Mint 15 but I've downloaded it from brothers, Is there some kind of loader or installer that I can use , my command line work is weak. I haven't tried plug and play because the printer will be delivered today. I'm just trying to get a footing on what is needed.

Quote Originally Posted by slw210 View Post
    What is meant by "I think I have the driver from the brothers site in my home directory"? Either you do or you don't.

Did you check for the drivers in the Downloads folder?

Which drivers do you have? What are the extensions?

Did you SEE THIS?

Did you look for the drivers in the repository, I believe you use the same as Ubuntu, your drivers should be there?

Some instructions at Brother Drivers for Linux® distributions.

Did you try the Plug-N-Play as mentioned by reese.mitchell?

Just follow the information in the links I provided, if your printer doesn't PnP.

Just Joined!

Thanks for the response, My j430w prints but now It doesn't scan

Just follow the information in the links I provided, if your printer doesn't PnP.
    I have downloaded the scanner drivers and when I use xsane(scanning program) to scan, I get "Failed to open device brother4:bus2;devl':invalid argument” I sthis something you can help me with.

Just Joined!
    My MFC j430w prints and scans now thank you this is solved

Might help others to provide your solution.

And feel free to mark this thread as "Solved" also, from the thread tools link at the top of each thread
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    This is where you start Brother Solutions Center : Brother Driver for Linux Distributions
    That may be all you need, If that doesn't work the next place to go is Brother Solutions Center : Brother Driver for Linux Distributions its a brothers loader for the print drivers not the scan drivers . If you have problems installing the scan drivers(they are in Brothers solution page) Go here Brother Solutions Center : Brother Driver for Linux Distributions >>>>> I don't know how this happened but it displays the same(brothers solution center) but the are threee different places(pages) Just left click each one.