Find the answer to your Linux question:
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jonathan63
Ok, so I've been livng in my Ubuntu 12.04LTS world for about 3 months, checking out different Distros and being mostly disapointed. Took a look at Ubuntu 10.04LTS for a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Mint 15 MATE.

Ok, so I've been livng in my Ubuntu 12.04LTS world for about 3 months, checking out different Distros and being mostly disapointed. Took a look at Ubuntu 10.04LTS for a buddy who has a non-pae laptop and wanted something to run on it and it didn't look too bad, problem is there's no more support for it sooooo, at the advice of a fellow forum member I checked out the MATE desktop environment and low and behold, looks a lot like 10.04 and even has a few other little bells and whistles that I like. I think I might just be moving away from my beloved Ubuntu and heading in a Mint 15 MATE direction. So far the "Live" USB has found my WiFi, I can create folders and documents and I can move around pretty well so that I can find the things I need.
    Yep, Mint looks like a winner.

RE: Ubuntu 10.04
    I don't see what exactly is the problem with the support. There are ftps all over the Net with updated versions of browsers, drivers, kernel upgrades, etc. Anyway.
    RE: Mint 15
    You can outperform yourself by installing also apt-rpm, thus besides .deb you will be able to install .rpm packages as well.

Just Joined!

Cool Mint rules

Quote Originally Posted by TNFrank View Post
    Mint looks like a winner.
    it does, doesn't it? I moved onto it after Ubuntu 10.10 and haven't looked back. I'm now on Mint 13 and would recommend it if your machine is somewhat old. Mint 14 and 15 are a bit more sluggish in my hardware.
    Have fun!

My buddy was going to give Mint 13 MATE a try on his older non-pae Toshiba laptop. I'm really trying to break him of his Windows 7 habit,LOL. I think if I could just talk him into putting Mint 15 MATE on one of his newer laptops he'd end up liking it well enough that he'd give up Windows altogether.

Just Joined!
    be careful on how you get him away from Windows. Find out what he mainly uses it for. If he's a gamer, Linux is not a good alternative, yet. If he uses any programs that are meant mainly for Windows (example: MS Office, Phototshop, Power Director) he will need to find an alternative for linux, which can take time to find and time to adjust to.

And of course he has to have desire to switch. Switching operating systems, especially if you've been using it for most of your life, is not always easy and if he's not much of a computer "geek", it will be even harder.
    jayd512 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jonathan63 View Post
    If he uses any programs that are meant mainly for Windows (example: MS Office, Phototshop, Power Director) he will need to find an alternative for linux, which can take time to find and time to adjust to.
    This is no longer the case. In the good ald days, when we were all working on the good old Office'97 - maybe, but nowadays the newer versions of Word on Windows look more bizarre ... and are greater 'labyrinth of the Minotaur' even than their linux analogues.
    Believe it or not, but BrOffice and Libre Office under linux have more natural user interface than Word 7 & Word 8.
    RE: Photoshop
    I have had no problems to switch-over from Photoshop to GIMP ... a few years ago. Actually at present I almost cannot work on Photoshop.
    RE: Video Editing
    The top 3 video editors under linux are: Blender, Openshot (.tiif maintaining .jpeg compression), and Cinelarra. I personally use ffmpeg ... and the text editor (for subtitles), without problems.
    If a person is that great (to edit movies) he should have some intuition ... and knowledge & skills to switch-over from one OS into another. I don't see where the problem is.
    Last edited by user-f11; 08-10-2013 at 05:06 AM. Reason: syntax

I think it's mainly a case of him not really knowing that there's much else out there aside form Windows and probably Mac. I don't think he's ever thought about Linux let alone known about it so he's pretty much a Linux virgin.LOL.
    He's not into playing games, but he is somewhat of a computer geek, he's build a few desktops a few years back and always talks about his RAID set up,LOL. I'm just trying to get his feet wet in the World of Linux and show him that the majority of what he's doing with Windows can be done(and probably more efficiently) with Linux based Op Systems.
    I've recently picked up an older non-pae laptop so I'll be putting Mint 13 MATE on it to play with a bit. Once I'm sure it'll work well then I'll sell it and make a few bucks, then I can roll that over into another laptop to set up and sell.
    I'm trying to get sort of a "business" going of buying laptops cheap, putting Linux on em' and then selling them for a small profit so I can have some kind of income coming in. I enjoy messing with stuff like this so why not make a few bucks doing it if I can.

I'm trying to get sort of a "business" going of buying laptops cheap, putting Linux on em' and then selling them for a small profit
    Been there and done that. I use the radio station to advertise (I get free airtime off the phone between 9am to 10am) and then it is posted on the radio
    station website.

I don't know if your area of Tenn. has that perk like I do. Just giving you ideas is all.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

We have LSN to advertise on but no free radio time as far as I know. I just feel like I need to DO something besides sit around and this is something that I enjoy doing so why not give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by TNFrank View Post
    We have LSN to advertise on but no free radio time as far as I know.
    You san launch a radio server and start your own radio broadcasts on the Net ... and to collect money from the advertisers. You may even hire people to do radio advertising gigs for you and your clients.
    All you need is a relatively good computer (it may be second hand), and a surround microphone ... also appropriate linux software.