Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am trying to share a directory from host OS (Linux Mint 9) to guest (Windows XP). I am receiving an error message saying "... The network name cannot be ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Can't Share a Directory (both thru LAN and Virtualbox)

I am trying to share a directory from host OS (Linux Mint 9) to guest (Windows XP). I am receiving an error message saying "... The network name cannot be found."

Here are the things that I did:

1. Shared thru GUI (right click -> sharing options)

I've checked all the options to make files executable and available for guest. I can see the folder under the workgroup but I can't access it.

2. chmod -R to 777

Through the CLI I've done sudo chmod -R 777 dicrectory_name but nothing has changed. I even try to open the directory through a PC on the network running Linux Mint 13 but still no luck.

3. Shared Folder in Virtualbox

I've also tried to install the Guest Additions (Device -> Install Guest Additions) then created a shared folder (Created a folder on host OS then add the said folder on Virtualbox shared folder under settings.). I assume that I should be able to see that folder on the guest OS but that's not the case.

P.S.

I'm using Virtualbox 3.1.6

Linux Guru
    I'm not that familiar with the Guest Additions on VirtualBox but I do know from my notes that when you install, you should eventually get a message on-screen indicating so. Also under Settings (can't recall if you would need to be booted to xp, I would think so) in VBox, click on Shared Folder and in the window at right, click on the folder with the green + sign to add. In the Folder Path box, click the down arrow on the right and navigate to the folder to share. That's all I have in my notes, not very complete although you do need to mount the host (Mint) from the guest (xp). Take a look at the link below to the VBox site, particularly manual mounting. I know the command for Linux but windows is different and it is explained on that page. That might be all you need?

Chapter*4.*Guest Additions

Just Joined!
    Thanks for that! It did help. Through it, I was able to learn how to find the shared folder. Thanks again.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close