Find the answer to your Linux question:
Greetings I 'm not sure if I can install a video card 2GB 64 bit into my 32 bit system. Will it work properly? I'm aiming for the 2GB option. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

buying 64 bit video card for a 32 bit system

Greetings
    I 'm not sure if I can install a video card 2GB 64 bit into my 32 bit system. Will it work properly? I'm aiming for the 2GB option. What do you think?

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    It entirely depends upon the bus that the card uses, and whether or not your PC supports it. However, since yours is a 32-bit system, some of the newer PCI bus cards may either not be supported, or may default to the older PCI factors your system motherboard supports. In many cases, newer video boards won't work in older 32-bit systems. Read the documentation, especially the "system requirements" pages for the hardware in question.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

I was kind of thinking the same way but didn't want to say anything until someone else chimed in with some info. You'll be 32 bit going into the video card and 32 bit coming out of the video card so whatever you gain while inside of the 64 bit video card will be lost on exit back into your system. Personally, I'd look for a 32 bit video card with the absolute most on board RAM that you can find. That way it'll be 32 bit all the way around and still give you plenty of RAM to process the video.
    I know a lot of this older 32 bit stuff is starting to get a harder to find, heck, you think that's hard try to find a PATA/IDE hard drive for a laptop,LOL. I'd love to upgrade my 60GB HD to something larger but I'm IDE, 2.5", 9.5mm form factor so it's like looking for a needle in a haystack. Yes, there out there but not as easy to find as a SATA drive.
    Anyway, good luck and keep us up to date.

Just Joined!

64 into 32

Quote Originally Posted by TNFrank View Post
    I was kind of thinking the same way but didn't want to say anything until someone else chimed in with some info. You'll be 32 bit going into the video card and 32 bit coming out of the video card so whatever you gain while inside of the 64 bit video card will be lost on exit back into your system. Personally, I'd look for a 32 bit video card with the absolute most on board RAM that you can find. That way it'll be 32 bit all the way around and still give you plenty of RAM to process the video.
    I know a lot of this older 32 bit stuff is starting to get a harder to find, heck, you think that's hard try to find a PATA/IDE hard drive for a laptop,LOL. I'd love to upgrade my 60GB HD to something larger but I'm IDE, 2.5", 9.5mm form factor so it's like looking for a needle in a haystack. Yes, there out there but not as easy to find as a SATA drive.
    Anyway, good luck and keep us up to date.
    Well thanks for all that info. I'll find a 32 bit 2GB card and use it. I think they are just a little harder to find. My mobo is only 5 yrs old ASUS.
    Thanks again

Linux Guru
    I'm afraid this makes no sense. How exactly would you define a video card as "32 bit?" The internals of the GPU and its interconnect to the onboard RAM has been far beyond '32 bit' buses for some time. If you take a look at something like a GTX760, you can see the memory interface is '256 bit' internally on the card.

The only things that matter for your system/motherboard to support a video card are:

1) Is it electrically/physically compatible with a slot on the motherboard (AGP, PCI-Express 1/2/3, etc.)
    2) Do I have connectors/sufficient power from the power supply for the graphics card (if it requires additional power beyond what the slot provides)
    3) Does it physically fit in my case (is it too long, does it take up the video slot + the next slot over, etc.)
    [Well, #4 - does it get sufficient cooling in the case.]

As long as the card gets power/cooling and can interface with the motherboard successfully (by using a compatible slot), there is no 32 vs 64 concern. For example, no current video card will say "works with Windows 7 X64 but not Windows 7 32-bit." Sometimes the manufacture does make a 'minimum CPU' recommendation, as there is not much use in putting a fast video card in a system where the CPU cannot drive data in/out of the video card sufficiently (or run the other parts of the game sufficiently such as AI.)

Just Joined!
    Yes OK Video cards have their own cpu (GPU). So what you say does make sense. I have noticed cards having 256 bit and more. So with that info I'll proceed to buy a 2GB 64 bit (or more). I'll also read up
    on the pros and cons of hi-bit cards. Thanks

Some video cards also have super fast RAM like DDR5 that we can't get for our "normal" RAM use yet. I really only know a very little about video cards but by all means, get the best that you can afford that'll work with your system because you can never have too much power but too little will make playing high end games and doing intensive video stuff much harder to do.

Just Joined!
    TNFrank
    thanks for your input...............