Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi I have been trying to resolve this problem for 9 days now. I have no xserver or GUI. I have two Linux systems on my hard drive. I had ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

xserver disabled

Hi
    I have been trying to resolve this problem for 9 days now.
    I have no xserver or GUI. I have two Linux systems on my hard drive. I had pairs of vertical lines ,even on bios screen. I replaced video
    card. Lines went away. I'm not sure about Nvidia files. I cannot use a Distro cd .I get a white screen. If I go to rescue system I can get to a command line after xserver displays (xserver disabled). Where does the xserver come from? Do I need Nvidia files to get a GUI? If I change out my hard drive ,would I get a display again? I'm lost with this...THank you

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    You really are not providing much information to help you. What is your linux distribution+version. What is your video hardware? What video driver(s) are you trying to use? Etc, etc....
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Rubberman
    OK.. I have 2 distros on the hard drive LinuxMint13 & LinuxMint 15. Video card GEforce GT630 DVI. The existing drivers are from Nvidia,but I think they are the wrong ones. I tried to upgrade them with possibly the wrong ones. I always get a 'xserver disable' notice. I can go to a command line if I use the rescue option on the grub menu. So no xserver and my drivers are screwed-up. I have a cd-rom that came with the video card,but can't get to install those drivers.....

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    For 64-bit x86 Linux you want this driver: NVIDIA - Download Drivers
    For 32-bit x86: NVIDIA - Download Drivers
    For 32-bit ARM: NVIDIA - Download Drivers

Just Joined!
    Rubberman
    Thanks for the download site. I downloaded the 32 bit driver ,on another computer, onto a flash drive,then installed them into the Linux computer
    successfully. But.. I get a message regarding the xserver: "API mismatch. The Nvidia kernel module has version 304.88,
    but this Nvidia driver component has version 319.32. Please make sure that the kernel module and all Nvidia driver components have the same version". Sounds like a conflict. Now what?
    PS I also get a message ""Failed to start X server. it is likely not set up correctly".

Did you also re-install everything (including optional graphics libraries) offered in the nVidia installation script? Did you try uninstalling first?

Just Joined!
    Rubberman
    I deleted all my Linux OS from my hard drive .Now I assume I have no instructions on the hard drive. But I still get the same thing :a blank white screen
    when I try to install a Linux mint system. Where is the xserver installed? I'm totally at a loss. I thought If I put a blank (no OS), I would be able to install a Linux Distribution. ???

Can you boot from a live CD/DVD/USB Linux device?

Just Joined!
    I can boot into TTY1 commmand line only . I downloaded and installed Nvidia drivers. I still get "no screens found". I tried to Xorg-configure to no avail. I don't think Nvidia is the right drivers. I think it wants
    'Vesa' drivers. I'm sure this problem is a correct configuration problem. But I don't know how to do that ..yet......

vesa drivers are the generic video api that most all current boards support by default. You won't get much more than 1020x768 resolution (or thereabouts). I have not heard of anyone having problems with your video card and the nVidia proprietary drivers, and my grandson has a card very similar to yours. Does your system also have a video chip set on the motherboard? If so, have you disabled it in the BIOS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast