Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
need a little help minux mint 15 64 bit isnt picking up my windows 7 ultimate installation when i try to dual boot them side by side has anyone had ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Mint not picking up windows 7 installation when trying to dual boot

need a little help minux mint 15 64 bit isnt picking up my windows 7 ultimate installation when i try to dual boot them side by side has anyone had this issue any help would be greatly appreciated thanks

Just Joined!
    Hi,

Do you have grub installed? If not install grub with:

sudo apt-get install grub

Then update grub with:

update-grub

but I think that this will be done during installation of grub.
    Reaper351c likes this.

Linux Guru
    It should have detected windows during the install but, there are some reasons why that would not happen.
    Simplest thing to try is suggested above: sudo update-grub. If that doesn't produce positive results, run sudo os-prober (you may need to install it first) then sudo update-grub. If that doesn't help, post more detailed information on your drive/partitioning scheme by running: sudo fdisk -l(lower case Letter L in the command).
    Reaper351c likes this.

no i dont have grub installed didnt make it that far in the installation i got up to the part where it asks where to install it on the harddrive maybe i will have to make a partition for linux didnt do that since all the videos i watched about dual booting mint and windows 7 never mentioned shrinking my harddrive some to have a spot to install linux would that be a good idea have attempted this once before but windows 7 never showed up after i finished installing it on my computer in the grub bootloader so i deleted the partition that i had linux mint installed on

Linux Guru
    You can't install Linux on a windows formatted partition nor can you do the reverse and expect it to work. The exception to this is using the mint4win installer on Mint which installs Mint as a program under/inside the windows partition which is basically like installing with virtual software.

If you want to install Mint on its own partition and windows is taking up the entire drive, you will need to shrink one of the windows partitions to create room on which to install Mint.
    Also, if you already have four partitions, this could be a problem because you are only allowed 4 primary partitions.
    If the 'videos' you watched about dual-booting don't mention the necessity for creating a partition on which to create a Linux filesystem, I would suggest you avoid those sites in the future. Or maybe you just didn't understand??

If you choose the install option of "Alongside windows" the best you can do is keep your fingers crossed and hope things work out because you will have very little control over what happens and won't see the actual progress or be able to select any options. It would be better to select the 'Something Else' option so you have more control. Also, keep notes of each step so you know what you did in case there is a problem.

Once you have shrunk your windows partition, you can boot your Mint CD/DVD and begin the installation. You will need to select unallocated or free space in the partitioner window on which to install Mint.

You could take a look at the video below which explains shrinking windows 7 partition and then the install of Mint with the Something Else option. Hope the audio works for you because it didn't for me.

http://vimeo.com/56537182
    Reaper351c likes this.

Cool I will do that I do have a question how would I keep the windows boot loader as default last time I tried it the Grub boot loader took over thanks for everyone's help with this

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

I've had this happen to me. Simplest solution was to mount the Windows partition and update grub, unmount and reboot.
    Reaper351c likes this.
    Glenn