Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, all. First, let me apologize if this has been addressed but my search didn't reveal anything. Also, I'm not new to Linux but I am relatively inexperienced and kind ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Win8/Mint15 dual-boot problems.

Hello, all.

First, let me apologize if this has been addressed but my search didn't reveal anything. Also, I'm not new to Linux but I am relatively inexperienced and kind of rusty.

I've recently created a live USB of Mint 15 with xfce and my laptop boots to it, fine. When I have the live distro running, it's pretty fast but I don't like being limited, especially by storage space.

I chose to run the installation and everything seemed to go well and I rebooted, removed the USB key and waited. Windows booted so I opened up a browser and saw that a new volume had come to be, in the size that I had allocated to the Mint partition and it was a filesystem unrecognized by Windows. I fired up disk management to have a look and noticed that it was the fifth partition created on the disk and from a video I saw earlier, I'm wondering if this is the issue? It said something along the lines of if you have four partitions already then the install will not work?
    All of the partitions are necessary, so I cannot just replace one.

If that is the case, then is it possible to install to the partition, anyway but create a bootable USB with grub to access it? Something similar?

Maybe I just missed something really simple in the installation?

Any help or guidance is greatly appreciated,
    Jagarti.

Linux Guru
    it was a filesystem unrecognized by Windows.
    That is expected behavior for windows. A default windows installation is not capable of recognizing a Linux partition. Most Linux distributions will not only recognize but be able to read and write to windows partitions.

Boot the Mint Live USB, open a terminal and enter this: sudo fdisk -l(Lower case Letter L in the command) and it will show some output regarding your drives/partitions you can post here. The standard with hard drives for decades has had a limit of four primary partitions. You can use one of these primary partitions to create an Extended partition in which you can create up to 63 logical partitions, depending upon the type of drive.

Mint didn't boot because you either did not install the Mint bootloader to the master boot record of the drive or because your computer has something called Secure Boot which you need to disable. Could be other reasons but those are the two most likely so go into the BIOS when you boot and look for that option, probably under the 'Boot' heading. I don't have windows 8 so can't tell you from experience but rather from what I have read that others have posted.