Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I have Cinnamon Linux Mint 15 desktop installed on 3 machines and I have XFCE Linux Mint 15 desktop installed on 2 machines, I have pinged each machine's IP's from ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Desktop sharing, help!

I have Cinnamon Linux Mint 15 desktop installed on 3 machines and I have XFCE Linux Mint 15 desktop installed on 2 machines, I have pinged each machine's IP's from all machines with no problems. Here is the problem, I'm running SSL/SSH VNC Viewer on Cinnamon Linux Mint and I can find the other 2 Cinnamon Linux Mint's, but neither of the XFCE Linux Mint's can be found. If someone can help me I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,
    bobkoonce

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    You need to enable ssh on the remote systems before you can access them. Have you tried to use ssh with the -X (X-Windows pass-thru) to communicate with the XFCE systems to be sure that you can ssh to them? Also, I'm not sure that XFCE supports VNC to view the desktop. If you can connect with ssh -X then you should still be able to run X applications on the remote system with output on your client. I do this daily without problems, and without VNC running or installed.

FWIW, I stopped using VNC years ago in favor of ssh -X. The only reason to use VNC is to allow remote desktop viewing and/or control. IE, for user support so you can see what they are doing.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    You may also want to try NX. I have found that to be the most consistent and fast remote desktop so far for Linux. I am not a fan of VNC as it is quite slow on lower speed connections.

Just Joined!
    Rubberman I'm just learning and not sure what you are talking about refering to the -X statement and how to even get it up and running.

thephoenix6666 this NX seems to be through a browser like logmein I looking to just run this over a LAN.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    ssh is the secure shell. You start an ssh daemon (sshd) with the command "service sshd start" on your server. Then you can login from the client with an ssh client process. For Linux systems that is the ssh command. For Windows, you can install the Putty tool. One of the ssh options is the X-windows pass-through flag, which is -X on the ssh command line, and one of the options in the connection configuration tool for Putty. When you login that way, it creates a pseudo DISPLAY environment variable that passes X-windows data back and forth from the remote system to your client's X-windows server (one of those cases where a server is a client - a bit counter-intuitive I realize, but it is how that all works). The ssh client will open a command line interface to your server (with Putty, it will open a full new window in your Windows environment, with a command line) as you log in. At that point, if you run something like xterm, or any other desktop tool, the display output will be on your user system, not on the server itself.

Even more confused yet? Don't worry, you'll get it, I'm sure.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by bobkoonce View Post
    Rubberman I'm just learning and not sure what you are talking about refering to the -X statement and how to even get it up and running.

thephoenix6666 this NX seems to be through a browser like logmein I looking to just run this over a LAN.
    No it is a client server that uses ssl. It operates like the Windows remote desktop. It is very simple to install the server and client and is far faster then VNC. Logmein and teamviewer are net based through a 3rd party. I only use that sort of thing for remote support of clients that do not have a direct line to the net. For my own remote machine access I use NX. I have used the putty solution before and for some things it is ok but for me at least I like the full desktop experience.

Just Joined!
    Rubberman

I tried running service sshd start,, and received
    sshd: unrecognized service. How do I get this to work?

thephoenix6666

I thought NX was an browser solution, my bad. How do I get NX up and running, and how do I get the host to recognize the client?

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    You may need to install the server first. Run the following in the terminal:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install openssh-server
    When you enter your password it will look like nothing is happening. If Mint uses a firewall then you will need to open port 22.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

Conkybots: Interactive plugins for your Conkys!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by elija View Post
    You may need to install the server first. Run the following in the terminal:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install openssh-server
    When you enter your password it will look like nothing is happening. If Mint uses a firewall then you will need to open port 22.
    Alright I did as suggested and I still get sshd: unrecognized service when I run sshd sevice start the computers can see one another because when I ping each one all packages are sent and received, I'm hook up to a network switch and not a router and both computers have firewalls turned off, I have made certain folders shared on both computers and only one of them are seeing the other shared folder, I can't seem to get my head wrapped around this problem. first time at setting up a linux network, ended up figuring it out in Window XP, not in Windows 7 which seem to have a whole lot of new ways of doing things that I have a lot of disdain for, that is why I'm turning to a linux.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    It's been a while since I ran Mint but IIRC the service was automatically started when installed. Can you post the output of the following commands:

Code:
    apt-cache policy openssh-server
    ps -A | grep -i ssh
    The first will confirm that it is installed and the latter will check if it is running.

Also, just in case it isn't a typo in the post... it's

Code:
    service sshd start
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

Conkybots: Interactive plugins for your Conkys!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast