Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi there, I am new to Linux, and therefore don't know masses about what to do where etc... Anyway, I've got mint 15 running on a Dell Latitude D630, and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Mint 15 was working fine, but now every time I boot up without the dis

Hi there,

I am new to Linux, and therefore don't know masses about what to do where etc...

Anyway, I've got mint 15 running on a Dell Latitude D630, and up until yesterday it was running fine. Now if I bo ot up the laptop without the disk it brings up the initramfs on the black screen. If I boot up with the disk I can get to my desktop but none of my files or programmes are there anymore. I can't open my hard drive at all, and it says "unable to mount location" (I've attached a photo of the error message below)

I've tried to research this problem a bit, and I am able to open Terminal, and have tried to input commands that I've come across online (to try and find out the location of the superblock and change it) but nothing seems to work. I am a bit worried as I have got work and media stored on the partition. If anyone is able to help or make a suggestion then that would be fantastic.

Thank you very much in advance.

Stuart
    Attached Images Attached Images

Linux Guru
    What disk are you referring to? The disk you used to install Mint? If you installed the Mint bootloader to the mbr of the disk, there is no reason you would need the disk.
    The image you posted indicates a mount error, you were trying to mount a filesystem as ext4 and it is not, at least not on sda2.

Since you haven't indicated that anything else is on the computer, you might try reinstalling again and make sure you install the bootloader to the mbr.

If I boot up with the disk I can get to my desktop but none of my files or programmes are there anymore
    That is expected behavior if you are using a Live CD which is a read-only filesystem and nothing is saved on reboot. Probably be a good idea to post a little more info on what you did and what you have on the computer. Boot with the Mint CD and open a terminal and get some drive/partition information to post with this command: sudo fdisk -l(Lower Case Letter L in the command.

Why were you trying to specifically mount sda2, what's there?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by yancek View Post
    What disk are you referring to? The disk you used to install Mint? If you installed the Mint bootloader to the mbr of the disk, there is no reason you would need the disk.
    The image you posted indicates a mount error, you were trying to mount a filesystem as ext4 and it is not, at least not on sda2.

Since you haven't indicated that anything else is on the computer, you might try reinstalling again and make sure you install the bootloader to the mbr.

That is expected behavior if you are using a Live CD which is a read-only filesystem and nothing is saved on reboot. Probably be a good idea to post a little more info on what you did and what you have on the computer. Boot with the Mint CD and open a terminal and get some drive/partition information to post with this command: sudo fdisk -l(Lower Case Letter L in the command.

Why were you trying to specifically mount sda2, what's there?
    Hi, thanks for the quick response. I've attached two pictures., one is the screen I get every time I try to boot up my laptop (I can't even get my desktop to come up) and the other is one of the report I got when typing sudo fdisk -l

the disk that I used that allows me to open a terminal is the linux mint 15 installation disk that my brother in law gave to me. I would ask him for advice but I am currently living in a different country. Am I going to have to do a completely fresh install of Mint? The only season I've been reluctant to do so as of yet is that I've got some work documents, a novel I've been writing and some films on there, and if possible I don't want to lose them.

This all started a couple of days ago when I tried to open a flash game online to pass time and it completely froze my laptop. I have had a lot of trouble with videos on Mint (a driver problem perhaps?) so I assumed the wrong flash plugin may have caused it to crash... Anyway I had to perform a manual reset as it had become unresponsive, and since then I haven't been able to get to my desktop.

If there's any more information you need, then please let me know. Sorry if I am not as tech savvy as the people who usually post on here.

Thanks in advance

Stuart
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    doe's it boot in command line and not allow you to get into x.org? if it does then you'll need a rescue cd.
    120x90.jpg

Linux Guru
    To make sure I am clear on your situation, did you have Mint installed and you were able to boot to it and use it WITHOUT the CD in the drive, correct?
    You could boot the Mint CD again, open a terminal and create a mount point and try to mount the Linux partition on the hard drive to see if the files are there. According to the fdisk output you posted, the Mint files should be on sda2, first hard drive, second partition. Run the following commands separately from a terminal, just hit the Enter key after each command and save the output:

Code:
    sudo mkdir /mnt/sda2
    sudo mount -t ext4 /dev/sda2 /mnt/sda2/
    ls /mnt/sda2
    Another thing you could do to get information about boot files and possible problems is to go to the site below and read the instructions, then download and run the bootinfoscript and post the output here:

Boot Info Script | Free System Administration software downloads at SourceForge.net

I don't know how trying to play a flash game could cause this type of problem but maybe I'm not clear on what you were doing. Mint is one of the best distributions for dirvers/codecs to play video so I am surprised you had problems with it.