Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm new to linux and am using Linux Mint 15 Olivia. I am running it alongside windows 7 and I want to increase the size of my current linux hard ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Update and partition problems

I'm new to linux and am using Linux Mint 15 Olivia. I am running it alongside windows 7 and I want to increase the size of my current linux hard drive partition. I read somewhere that I should install the GParted package, but I get this error:

$ sudo apt-get install gparted
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    E: Unable to locate package gparted

And then someone told me I should try entering:

$ sudo apt-get update

And then I keep getting this at the bottom of the installation log:

W: GPG error: [some webpage]Index of /[/url] raring Release: The following signatures were invalid: BADSIG 40976EAF437D05B5 Ubuntu Archive Automatic Signing Key <some email adress>
    W: GPG error: [some webpage]Index of /[/url] raring Release: The following signatures were invalid: BADSIG 40976EAF437D05B5 Ubuntu Archive Automatic Signing Key <some email adress>

As I said I am very new to all of this. Any ideas about what could be wrong? Thanks!
    -Magnús

Linux Guru
    I don't use Mint so can't explain the message you get but, GParted is usually better off run from a CD/DVD than from an installed system so you might be better off downloading it and burning it to a CD. You should also be able to shrink your windows partition to create more space for Mint by going to the Control Panel, Selecting Administrative Tools, Computer Management, Storage, Disk Management, More Actions on the far right then click the arrow to get All Tasks Shrink Volume and select the volume. You could also do this from GParted but might be better off using the windows software.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by yancek View Post
    I don't use Mint so can't explain the message you get but, GParted is usually better off run from a CD/DVD than from an installed system so you might be better off downloading it and burning it to a CD. You should also be able to shrink your windows partition to create more space for Mint by going to the Control Panel, Selecting Administrative Tools, Computer Management, Storage, Disk Management, More Actions on the far right then click the arrow to get All Tasks Shrink Volume and select the volume. You could also do this from GParted but might be better off using the windows software.
    Thanks for the quick response, I think my errors might be related to lack of hard-drive memory so I think your solution might solve my problem