Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am running Mint 13 Cinnamon. Everything was fine until a couple says ago when I decided to install xscreensaver. I installed (and uninstalled) via command line "sudo aptget" etc. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

I think Xscreensaver messed up my system...

I am running Mint 13 Cinnamon. Everything was fine until a couple says ago when I decided to install xscreensaver. I installed (and uninstalled) via command line "sudo aptget" etc. But now, I've started to experience some problems.....
    - The taskbar (panel) will not allow editing. I have already ticked "Edit Mode" in the Panel options under Cinnamon Settings. Right-clicking on a quicklaunch icon, for example, used to give the option to move, delete, etc. Not I only have the options to launch and properties. I can not add or remove applets, and I even changed the setting to move the panel to the top of the screen, no changes. And yes, I have rebooted multiple times.
    - Before, I could go under Power in the System Settings and change how long until the screen turns off after inactivity. These options also no longer work. I chose 1 minute, for example, but the screen will stay on.
    - I decided to log in under a different DE. So I logged out, and chose Gnome Classic. No change...when I log in, still Cinnamon.

The last one isn't a huge deal to me, but the first two are. I don't know what xscreensaver could have done, but these things works prior to it's installation. Any ideas on how to get it back to the way it was?
    Thanks!
    Registered Linux user #439800.

Linux Newbie
    UPDATE: So, to me, it seemed my above mentioned issues were issues with Cinnamon, so I performed an update. I updated Cinnamon from 1.4 to 1.8. This corrected the blank screen issue. Unfortunately, the panel issue and the ability to log on in a different session, are still not corrected...
    Registered Linux user #439800.