Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I recently became frustrated with Windows 8 and wanted to try out linux. I made a USB boot stick with Linux Mint (Petra) and it loads up fine off ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Dual Boot Windows 8 and Linux

Hello,

I recently became frustrated with Windows 8 and wanted to try out linux. I made a USB boot stick with Linux Mint (Petra) and it loads up fine off the USB stick but when I click the install button the installer crashes when I try to choose a partition.

I had partitioned 400 gb of space but none of my partitions would show up on the install window. I guess I could take a screenshot of the error message (not sure how to do that in Linux but I could poke around).

I read a bit more and I learned that there is a new "bios" called UEFI for computers but I'm not sure what to do to make linux play nice with this UEFI.

I want to slowly move over to Linux while I learn about it and find programs on Linux that do what I had previously done on Windows. So I don't want to completely erase windows just yet.

I think my major problem is figuring out this UEFI thing. Is there a guide somewhere on the web? I could be looking to much into this but do I have to build my own BIOS?

Linux Guru
    You might give the link below a read. If you have windows 8, you need to disable Secure Boot in the BIOS and if you have the option, enable Legacy Boot.

How to install Linux on UEFI systems where GRUB fail to install? - Linux Mint Community

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the response, I wasn't even sure where to look for the answer.

If I read and understood that correctly, Once I have Linux running off my USB stick, I need to download and run the program GParted and that will convert my UEFI to MBR. Then I can install Linux.

I'd still be able to dual boot windows 8 also?

Linux Guru
    Once I have Linux running off my USB stick, I need to download and run the program GParted
    No. GParted should be on the Mint LiveCD on the flash. Boot the Mint flash and open a terminal from the menu and just type: sudo gparted, if gparted opens you are good.
    You should be able to boot windows 8 also. I've not used windows 8 except the trial version in VirtualBox so don't have any advice there.