Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello again my fellow bodies. My question is, How do I run two Skype sessions simultaneously? So, for some time I have been wondering if it could be done, but ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How to run two Skype sessions simultaneously?

Hello again my fellow bodies.

My question is, How do I run two Skype sessions simultaneously?

So, for some time I have been wondering if it could be done, but only today I looked it up on Google, and to my pleasant surprise it is quite easy, if you have Windows that is!

"C:\Program Files\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe" /secondary
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe"/secondary

But nothing about how to do it on Linux!

My sys info:
    Cinnamon ver. 1.8.8
    Distribution LinuxMint 15: olivia (x86-64)

Thanks,

Wrenchman

Linux Enthusiast
    ssh with X forwarding ro another user account and run the second skype from that user.

Just Joined!
    Hi there buddy, I didn't get it at first

ssh with X forwarding ro another user account and run the second skype from that user.
    edit:
    ssh with X forwarding to another user account and run the second skype from that user.

now it makes more sense, btw. what is ssh with X forwarding?
    It sounds complicated. To be honest scary!

Would there be a simple way to do it, I mean to run 2 skype accounts.

Thanks,

Wrenchman

Linux Enthusiast
    The base layer for the GUI interface is X (X11.xxxx) also called X11 or XWindow (not not XWindows it shows lack of knowledge) (X11 due to its major version which changes when protocols change). Window managers are built on top of X, and Desktop envionments are built on top of window managers. X has always had network capability and as such a GUI apolication can be run on another Unix/Linux machine (or even the same machine and another user account usually) and have the display (it's window and dialog windows) appear on the local machine. There is a configuration file for the "sshd" daemon and one for the "ssh client" (usually found in "/etc/ssh/sshd_config" and "/etc/ssh/sshd_config") which the important one is for the Daemon.
    Code:
    X11Forwarding yes
    X11DisplayOffset 10
    X11UseLocalhost yes
    Then when you use the -X option on the secure shell connection within a terminal such as:
    Code:
    ssh -X uesrname@hostname
    you will be asked for the password and then you are actually running as user "username" on the machine "hostname" but you are text mode. Execute a command such as "firefox &" or "skype" or (Konsole or gterminal) and you will have a window popup on your display for that application.

I don't use Skype, I prefer Google Hangouts. To run separate sessions, you just open another session and invite whomever you like. The audio and video quality are much higher than with Skype, which I gave up on some time ago.