Find the answer to your Linux question:
First post on the site, and boy do I have a doozy (at least, it is for me) ... I have LinuxMint Cinnamon installed on my laptop and recently acquired ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Exclamation Issues getting external DVI monitor setup

First post on the site, and boy do I have a doozy (at least, it is for me) ...

I have LinuxMint Cinnamon installed on my laptop and recently acquired a docking station for it.

Since the docking station has a DVI port, I decided to connect my ASUS wide-screen monitor to it. Unfortunately, it has not given me a display yet. My ultimate goal is to have this screen and my laptop working as independent displays.

Below are the results of running inxi -Fx:

Code:
    System:    Host: Kanga Kernel: 3.8.0-19-generic i686 (32 bit, gcc: 4.7.3) Desktop: Gnome Distro: Linux Mint 15 Olivia
    Machine:   System: TOSHIBA product: TECRA A8 version: PTA83U-02V02C
               Mobo: TOSHIBA model: Portable PC version: Version A0 Bios: TOSHIBA version: Version 1.50 date: 08/30/2006
    CPU:       Dual core Intel CPU T2300 (-MCP-) cache: 2048 KB flags: (nx sse sse2 sse3) bmips: 6649.96 
               Clock Speeds: 1: 1000.00 MHz 2: 1000.00 MHz
    Graphics:  Card: Intel Mobile 945GM/GMS 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0 
               X.Org: 1.13.3 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1280x800 at 60.0hz 
               GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel 945GM x86/MMX/SSE2 GLX Version: 1.4 Mesa 9.1.7 Direct Rendering: Yes
    Audio:     Card: Intel NM10/ICH7 Family High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
               Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: k3.8.0-19-generic
    Network:   Card-1: Intel 82573L Gigabit Ethernet Controller driver: e1000e ver: 2.1.4-k port: bfe0 bus-ID: 01:00.0
               IF: eth0 state: down mac: 00:15:b7:42:be:5c
               Card-2: Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG [Golan] Network Connection driver: iwl3945 ver: in-tree:s bus-ID: 02:00.0
               IF: wlan0 state: up mac: 00:18:de:27:fb:dc
    Drives:    HDD Total Size: 80.0GB (20.7% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: FUJITSU_MHV2080B size: 80.0GB temp: 38C 
    Partition: ID: / size: 73G used: 16G (23%) fs: ext4 ID: swap-1 size: 1.06GB used: 0.14GB (13%) fs: swap 
    RAID:      No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present
    Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 51.0C mobo: N/A 
               Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A 
    Info:      Processes: 174 Uptime: 48 min Memory: 507.9/994.4MB Runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.7.3 Client: Shell inxi: 1.8.4
    When I ran xrandr -q, I got this:

Code:
    Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1280 x 800, maximum 32767 x 32767
    LVDS1 connected 1280x800+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 0mm x 0mm
       1280x800       60.0*+
       1024x768       60.0  
       800x600        60.3     56.2  
       640x480        59.9  
    VGA1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
    TV1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
    As you can see, the DVI output is not listed. I have done quite a bit of research on this, but have found no steps or processes for getting that output to show up.

I am still very new to this, so I don't know exactly what I am missing to get this setup. And, to be honest, everything I have been reading is confusing me even more.

Any and all help is GREATLY appreciated!

UPDATE: OK, I noticed this in the XRANDR documentation:

Gnome places the menu bar on screen 0 and thus with the Intel chip and driver Screen 0 (the external VGA monitor) will always be the default display if it is connected. This applies even if the external monitor is switched off but the cable connected: if you have a blank laptop monitor check if you have anything plugged in to the VGA port. Also beware that desktop icons and windows can disappear into the invisible parts of the virtual display.
    Does this mean that I need to look into a different Desktop configuration (e.g. KDE) and/or display interface to see if it will allow the DVI to work?

Just so you know, I have gone through the steps of adding modes and attempting to add the DVI as an output, but I consistently get this error:

Code:
    xrandr: cannot find output <insert mode designation here>
    Last edited by russdwright; 01-01-2014 at 04:30 PM.

Does you laptop have a external monitor port, if so when you connect you monitor to it does that work. Most laptops have a function key that controls external monitor support. That key usually is multi-function like external off, external on, internal off, and sometimes more they usually rotate thru the options. Since docking stations are usually just a pass-thru I would get the monitor working first connected directly to the laptop, then try it with the docking station.

I don't use Mint but its probably the same, my Linux the Display setting tool also turns the 2nd monitor on and off so you want to check that too. My Linux it not only turn the external montior on and off it control if the display is mirrors or extends the main display.

So check you Display settings in Linux and see if 2nd monitor support is on and if that doesn't help check you laptops display settings.

Just Joined!
    I think therein is where the problem lies; there is an external monitor port, but it is VGA instead of DVI; the DVI port only exists on the docking station. I am guessing that is why the DVI port isn't registering.

Is there a possible/feasible way to get Linux to see that port, or am I stuck with working with a VGA setup for my external monitor?
    Last edited by russdwright; 01-01-2014 at 08:50 PM.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by russdwright View Post
    I think therein is where the problem lies; there is an external monitor port, but it is VGA instead of DVI; the DVI port only exists on the docking station. I am guessing that is why the DVI port isn't registering.

Is there a possible/feasible way to get Linux to see that port, or am I stuck with working with a VGA setup for my external monitor?
    You need to be looking at your docking station manual on how it maps the laptop ports to its ports that has nothing to do with Linux.

What do you mean stuck with VGA is just a different type of connector, your video chip is what determine what level of video you're going to get. My laptop only has a VGA video port, but I run it into my TV and it gets full HD resolution of the TV. Many laptops have VGA and HDMI ports because they are physical small.

Just Joined!
    OK, according to the manual, the DVI port on the docking station supports DVI-D type.

Quote Originally Posted by russdwright View Post
    OK, according to the manual, the DVI port on the docking station supports DVI-D type.
    What you need to find out is when in the dock will the onboard VGA get routed to the dock's DVI. Also did you check the Linux Display setting to confirm the second port is turned on, on my laptop it's Off by default. If that is on then confirm the laptop video funciton key is set to use the second video port. This issue could be simply the laptop or Linux isn't set to use the 2nd port.