Find the answer to your Linux question:
I really do not like things put on my system when there is no apparent instructions/settings/options. I keep hitting a menu option on the toolbar and suddenly the project I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Mate Panel

I really do not like things put on my system when there is no apparent instructions/settings/options. I keep hitting a menu option on the toolbar and suddenly the project I am working on disappears. I just now found it only to have no clue how to get it back to the original panel. I don't have time for this nonsense.

How do I get just ONE "panel"? I do not need this. I don't even understand why it is suppose to be useful.

Quote Originally Posted by WhitePhoenix View Post
    I really do not like things put on my system when there is no apparent instructions/settings/options. I keep hitting a menu option on the toolbar and suddenly the project I am working on disappears. I just now found it only to have no clue how to get it back to the original panel. I don't have time for this nonsense.

How do I get just ONE "panel"? I do not need this. I don't even understand why it is suppose to be useful.
    I think what you are talking about is workspaces not panels. Panels are more along the lines of a taskbar or a dock. Workspaces are multiple desktops and very handy for organizing your work. I've never used Mate so I can't tell you specifly where to change it, but in my Linux desktops there is a usually a menu item for Settings and most one of the settings if for Workspaces so you and increse the number or in your case reduce it. So check Mate's setting and look for Workspaces.

Yes, you are correct. It is the workspace. Under Desktop Settings there is no reference to Workspaces. I find nothing under the Control Center either.

I don't need multiple desktops. I do just fine with one. End of discussion.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    You might be able to right click on the panel, select preferences and then remove the workspace switcher.

Nope. Not there either. The only place I get a menu mentioning Workspaces is when I right click on the application's icon in the taskbar. It then gives me all kinds of options for the workspace EXCEPT how to remove the extras. Even then it is only for the application in relationship to the workspaces. Not the workspaces themselves.

Workspaces should be placed in the Control Center so you can easily find the properties and set them the way you want.

[Solved] Mate Panel

I found the real problem and the solution at the Mint Linux Forums. Seems there was a glitch in my Linux.

Quote Originally Posted by WhitePhoenix @ Mint Linux Forums
    Thanks for at least getting me close. It's Workspace Switcher. There is another thing called Windows Selector, but I guessed you meant Workplace Switcher. Why would Linux be set to automatically use workspaces and not have the Workspace Switcher active? Was there a presumption that everyone would like this and not want to change it?

Since it was pre-installed I figured it was part of MATE and should have some sort of control options already accessible. I never used Linux before so I wouldn't know automatically that I had to install a separate applet. Apparently no one else did either, since they kept giving me instructions assuming the applet was installed.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDynamicHamza21 @ Mint Linux Forums
    Most Linux distros have at least 2 workspaces by default,it's pretty standard in Linux. Moreover, a workspace switcher should have on your panel by default as well. I'm not sure why it was not on your system.