Find the answer to your Linux question:
I found Language Support, but I don't want to change the UI or anything. I don't want to change the language of the menus either. When I hover over any ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Language Support

I found Language Support, but I don't want to change the UI or anything. I don't want to change the language of the menus either. When I hover over any language on the list of the language tab, the message says that this affects the desktop and application displays. I just need to have language support in my applications like Apache OpenOffice. Currently, the Japanese is fine in the input box on the formula bar, but the cells show only placeholders.

The message also says it ignores any language that appears under "English". Does that mean that any language that is below "English" is still installed for use in documents, but isn't used for the desktop or applications? That would be what I want.

Or is there another place in the system I should be using for what I want to do?

Linux Engineer
    Language support is handled in different ways by different applications but many use something called locales. If your linux uses apt you can run the command
    Code:
    apt-cache search locale
    and browse through to see a bunch of ways to add language support to different applications.

I tried that just now. A list of apps appeared each with a description of the app and a language. Some apps listed are not installed. Some had multiple listings with different languages. OpenOffice 4.01 was not on the list.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer

Thanks for the link. This solves the problem neatly.

Nuts. That didn't work either. I found the place in the Control Center where you change the system fonts. I changed everything except Monospace to Segoe UI which is the font I prefer because its the one that supports the most UTF-8 characters and still looks good. There was no change in OpenOffice.

I checked in OpenOffice which now has the Language Support for Japanese. The Japanese in the formula box is correct as it has been, but the Japanese in the cells still shows as boxes. I tried different fonts in the cell. "Japan" had no effect. Unifont showed the Japanese correctly. 文泉驛點陣正黑 also showed the Japanese correctly.

As a work-around I now use the Japanese font for Japanese in AOO. It was one of five that came with Linux Mint and fit with Segoe UI the best. I still don’t know for sure how the Language Support works, but everything seems to be working okay now.