Find the answer to your Linux question:
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By elija
Hi All - did a recommended update to my Mint 16 system which has been running perfectly. Now my i suddenly have one click mouse operation as well as total ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

last update to Mint16 Mate 1.6.1 problems

Hi All - did a recommended update to my Mint 16 system which has been running perfectly. Now my i suddenly have one click mouse operation as well as total chaos at times. The mouse will seem as though I have selected something and when i move it starts dragging. I have seen this in the distant past, but unfortunately it cured itself. Nothing in the software world is more odious than breaking something that didn't need fixing. Sorry about the rant - this is a really frustrating kind of bug. I have tendonitus in my mousing hand and OUCH!
    - Clouds don't crash - Bertrand Meyer

registered Linux user 393557

finally - hw to brag about - but next year it will look pitifully quaint:
    Athlon64 X2 3800 - 1G PC3200 - 250G SATA - ati radeon x300
    circa 2006

When this happened before was it with same distro or another. When it went away before was it after some change or reboot. Any other details that will help others.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Have you tried a different mouse just to rule out hardware failure; although the timing is admittedly suggestive.
    Assuming that it is a USB mouse, have you tried unplugging the mouse and plugging it back in again? In a different port?

[edit]What about cleaning the mouse?[/edit]
    Last edited by elija; 02-27-2014 at 08:57 AM.
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by docbop View Post
    When this happened before was it with same distro or another. When it went away before was it after some change or reboot. Any other details that will help others.
    Hello - thanks for responding: The other occurence was literaly years ago - not even sure which distro i was using. Just remember the amount of frustration is caused. I worked on it for months - but because of the time involved, and possibly because i had a stroke in between, i can't for the life of me remember any details about the fix. Just though i might find another with similar problem. another example - if i try to place the cursor i often select the line instead as though i had double clickec. It is like a bounce in the mouse.

circa 2006

Quote Originally Posted by elija View Post
    Have you tried a different mouse just to rule out hardware failure; although the timing is admittedly suggestive.
    Assuming that it is a USB mouse, have you tried unplugging the mouse and plugging it back in again? In a different port?

[edit]What about cleaning the mouse?[/edit]
    Thanks for the reply: See my reply to docbop for some more info. I use two computers every day and simply remove the USB dongle from one and plug it into the other when i switch. Still works normally on the (gag...give me a sec) Win box - in my defence - I only use win for poker. So anyway - hw probably ok - also keyboard on same dongle - kbd fine. It seems to be something like the driver for the mouse or? I was really digging Mint 16 after upgrading from Mint13 (what was i thinking?) I have enjoyed Mint for a while now, but can't put together whether that was my distro the other time.

Mouse is clean and i did switch ports - I am looking for another mouse to try. Thanks for the ideas.

circa 2006

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    I also found this which may be of use.
    twoHats likes this.
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Quote Originally Posted by twoHats View Post
    Thanks for the reply: See my reply to docbop for some more info. I use two computers every day and simply remove the USB dongle from one and plug it into the other when i switch. Still works normally on the (gag...give me a sec) Win box - in my defence - I only use win for poker. So anyway - hw probably ok - also keyboard on same dongle - kbd fine. It seems to be something like the driver for the mouse or? I was really digging Mint 16 after upgrading from Mint13 (what was i thinking?) I have enjoyed Mint for a while now, but can't put together whether that was my distro the other time.

Mouse is clean and i did switch ports - I am looking for another mouse to try. Thanks for the ideas.
    Long time ago had similar problem with mouse on a KVM switch, when switching sometime the mouse wouldn't get re-recognized after a switching. Some times I could kick it by going into my mouse settings panel and and clicking OK it would reset the mouse.

Looks like elija has a suggestion see if that gets it.

Cool Fixed?!

Thanks all, for the help! I think the knowing that tyou all are here makes things much easier for us loners out in the boonies!

I think i have found a solution. Just looking here and there - Noticed the control key mouse location switch was on - turned it off - been much better. I think it is cured! Thank all of you for you efforts!

circa 2006