Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have diagonal artifacts that come and go on my monitor(monitor has been eliminated as cause) with mouse movement. I use Linux Mint 16. Sometimes the logout button will work ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux mint compatible with onboard video?

I have diagonal artifacts that come and go on my monitor(monitor has been eliminated as cause) with mouse movement. I use Linux Mint 16. Sometimes the logout button will work and sometimes not.

This is a brand new build with integrated video capability, no video card required.
    The processer is an AMD A6 5400K dual core 3.8GHz Max Turbo, 3.6 GHz base.
    The motherboard is msi A55M-E33.
    The RAM is Patriot Viper 4GB DDR3 PC3-12800 1600MHz, two sticks at 4GB each.
    The PS is Thermaltake 430W.
    The monitor is a used Samsung Syncmaster 213T hooked to the HDMI output with a DVI adapter.
    The PCI slot is not being used.

If I install a video card everything works fine. Is Linux Mint OS the problem? Do I need some special linux driver for this integrated video package?
    Or is it possible the processor is the culprit with a bad video chipset?
    There does not seem to be any video glitching during BIOS sessions and the boot process, only when the Mint OS completes booting.

The motherboard is definitely not the issue, nor is the RAM.
    Last edited by RobertKeller; 03-19-2014 at 11:03 PM.

This is their website if you can figure out which of those model# is your board. Then you can determine if you need a driver and which one.

Just Joined!
    I found someone who said ubuntu worked with my processor so I tried installing ubuntu. The boot cd worked fine and ubuntu OS detected a proprietary driver for AMD proc automatically. When I tried to install ubuntu it seemed to hang after entering a user name and password, but maybe I didn't wait long enough?

Anyhow I went back to Linux Mint and tried to find out how to install the proprietary driver since at least it installs ok. I found a youtube video with instructions that worked.
    These are the commands (for mint 64, not i386):

sudo apt-add-repository ppa(colon here)xorg-edgers/ppa
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    aptitude search amd
    (from the list that popped up I chose the following, not sure really what I'm doing, but it worked)
    sudo apt-get install amd64-microcode
    sudo apt-get install fglrx-amdcccle
    sudo apt-get install golang-go-linux-amd64
    sudo apt-get install wine-amd64

that last if you want windows emulation.

Before doing this and rebooting the OS was very sketchy. The menu didn't show all the options. The shut down button sometimes worked, sometimes didn't. The upgrade button wasn't available, etc.

So lesson learned: I built a budget $300 build that really was between $400-$500 since I couldn't find all the cheaper components at my local stores. So I ended up with a more expensive build but with a cheap motherboard and processor. So get a decent motherboard and processor anyhow. I followed the build selection for low cost when for Linux it is best to chose your mb and proc based upon recommendations for ease of use with Linux. Otherwise you'll end up sweating it like I did.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Start first finding the video driver that is probably all it is. Taking a shotgun approach and updating everything you can you never know what was the fix and what was unnecessary.
    Last edited by docbop; 03-20-2014 at 08:11 PM.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by docbop View Post
    Start first finding the video driver that is probably all it is. Taking a shotgun approach and updating everything you can you never know what was the fix and what was unnecessary.
    I have another smaller HD and I'll explore it more when I get back from vacation.