Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
I created a new user with admin priviliges, but Mint told me "incorrect password" when it was the correct password. It also claimed my password was too weak when it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Need root user account

I created a new user with admin priviliges, but Mint told me "incorrect password" when it was the correct password.

It also claimed my password was too weak when it was not. I used upper and lower case along with digits and special characters.

I want an account to login in as a superuser.

I am the ONLY user, so my computer is quite secure.

I understand the need for most users to not need root access, but it is necessary for me to be able to work efficiently.

Andy

Linux Engineer
    Code:
    sudo su -
    That's how you logon as root on Ubuntu variants.

Just Joined!
    That's fine if I only wanted to work from a console.

Andy

Linux Engineer
    If you want to run all your applications as root use a different distro - one that isn't Ubuntu based. On the other hand you can execute an application from a console where you are logged in as root and it will run with root permissions.

If you need to be root all the time you might want to assess how it is you are working and why you need to be root.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by gregm View Post
    If you want to run all your applications as root use a different distro - one that isn't Ubuntu based. On the other hand you can execute an application from a console where you are logged in as root and it will run with root permissions.
    "
    If you need to be root all the time you might want to assess how it is you are working and why you need to be root.
    So it sounds like you are saying to me to "Hit the road because I want full access." ??

If Linux MInt has no desire for Non_Linux users to seriously consider LInux MInt as a serious Operating System, then making root access a Pain-In-The-As* is definitely accomplishing it.

Andy

Linux Engineer
    Actually, what I'm saying is learn to use the system.

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fixit7 View Post
    So it sounds like you are saying to me to "Hit the road because I want full access." ??

If Linux MInt has no desire for Non_Linux users to seriously consider LInux MInt as a serious Operating System, then making root access a Pain-In-The-As* is definitely accomplishing it.

Andy
    Its not really a pain, its just that Ubuntu decided to depart from the norm implemented sudo differently in their distro. At work we use Ubuntu (amongst others) and we have to enable root accounts on all installations. Its accomplished using "sudo password root" as an admin user.

Linux Newbie
    It's not safe to run as root unless you need to do something that requires it. It's more of a protection than a restriction. If you ran in root every application and every thing you download from the internet would have full access to your system.

Quote Originally Posted by fixit7 View Post

Andy
    This isn't just a Mint thing it's how Unix systems in general are setup. You want to limit use of the root account especially from a GUI. You need to run a GUI app as root they open it from the terminal with sudo. Remember when running as root there is no safety net, you screwup there is nothing to save you, so making you jump through a hoop to become root is a reminder to focus on what you're doing.
    A lion does not lose sleep, over the opinion of sheep.

Linux Guru
    It seems as if the OP has a complete lack of understanding of the system. How to grant sudo privileges to additional users is explained in detail on the Ubuntu and Mint forum. I doubt anyone cares how much the OP and others with this perspective run with admin privileges all the time, it is their machine. The problem is, they don't seem to understand that it is not THEIR internet. If they kept their machine in a locked room and never went online and never gave anyone else Iincluding their cat)access to the machine, no problem. Running with admin privileges to do everything has made a lot of easy money for the antivirus people as well as cyber thieves.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast