Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, Finally took the plunge due to WIN XP expiration date. Making progress with Mint 32 bit but cannot import pics. I attach download cable, tick gthumb import tool, up ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Angry Downloading NEF & JPG images from Camera to Mint

Hello, Finally took the plunge due to WIN XP expiration date. Making progress with Mint 32 bit but cannot import pics. I attach download cable, tick gthumb import tool, up comes thumbnails of pics, click to highlight on the one I want to import and either nothing happens or another small window opens with the bar showing operation one third complete and nothing happens. When I close I get the message; "Could not perform the operation Error in stream protocol: End of stream"

I have tried UFRAW but that cannot handle NEF or JPG plus trying every other photography program in the package but none of them will import eiher RAW of JPG.

To say I am totally disappointed that linux which I have heard so much about cannot even import a photo from my bog standard nikon d90 from any of the photography programs without telling me specifically why not is an understatement,

Help advice etc would be most appreciated, but no technical jargon I am a NewMint!

p.s. where is the spell check?

Linux Guru
    To say I am totally disappointed that linux which I have heard so much about cannot even import a photo from my bog standard nikon d90 from any of the photography programs without telling me specifically why not is an understatement,
    Well, it can and does and has been for years so I doubt that it is Linux that is the problem. I don't use Mint or gthumb so I can't speak to gthumb. I have digikam which is similar software and have the same steps you mention. After clicking a thumbnail/thumbnails to highlight, I just click Download and have the option to download selected, download all...

Have you tried a search using the specific error you posted above?

Apparently f-spot works:
    http://learn.rrproject.com/2009/12/n...ubuntu-karmic/
    Main Page - F-Spot

Other than that, gPhoto is worth looking at, because it lists the Nikon D90 as supported
    gPhoto - gPhoto Home
    gPhoto - Projects :: libgphoto2 :: supported cameras

In general, the problem with cameras seems to be that the transfer protocols are not as standardized as they should be.
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close