Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi there, I was (foolishly) messing around with my partition sizes, now whenever I turn on my computer I get the error message in the title. I'm very new to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Error unknown filesystem. grub rescue

Hi there, I was (foolishly) messing around with my partition sizes, now whenever I turn on my computer I get the error message in the title.

I'm very new to Linux, but I knew that if I typed in 'ls' it would come up with all my partitions and then I could type in ls (hdx,y) and some other stuff afterwards and it would boot from that partition. Unfortunately whatever partition I try, I always get 'error unknown filesystem'

What do I do?

Thanks

Linux Guru
    You haven't given enough information for anyone to help you. First off, what does 'messing around with my partitions' mean. Deleting partitions, adding partitions, resizing partitions? You're posting under the Mint heading so we assume you are using Mint, correct? You have not indicated if you have any other operating system(s), do you? If so, what are they? Mint uses the Grub bootloader. Are you using it to boot Mint and any other systems you may have? To actually be of any help to you, we would need to see your boot file, in Mint that would be the grub.cfg file which is in the /boot/grub directory and also your partition information.

Probably the best way to get help would be to go to the site below. Read the instructions in the link in the Description box then download and run the bootinfoscript. It will output a results.txt file, usually in your /home/user directory. If you post that file here, it will show drive/partition and boot file information as well as other useful info and someone should be able to at least point you in the right direction. The script needs to be run from a Linux system so, if you still have your Mint Live CD or other installation medium, you can use that or any other Linux.

Just Joined!
    I was trying to resize my partitions - it didn't work. The only other OS I use is Windows 7.

I can't provide you with the boot file or any partition information since I cannot get past the grub recovery. I also cannot download the bootinfoscript for the same reason. I tried booting via my mint disk but it doesn't work, even when I change the bios settings to boot from CD first. I'm really at a loss of what to do.

Linux Guru
    since I cannot get past the grub recovery.
    You're waiting too long if you are getting to Grub since it is on the hard drive. What is the manufacturer of the computer? Did you check all the options to change boot priority? If you are correctly changing to CD drive to first boot priority and it still boots from the hard drive, that is a different problem. Resizing a partition or partitions should not cause the problems you are reporting. Were you using Mint to resize? or windows 7? Were you shrinking a partition or enlarging it? Did you delete any partitions. Which partition were you working on, windows? Mint? You have this post under Mint so did you have Mint installed and working along with windows?

Just Joined!
    I didnt do the boot order correctly, I can now use Mint on my laptop. I was using Mint to resize and it didn't work.
    You mentioned the Grub.cfg folder, I found it and had a quick skim through it. I didn't see any error messages, but if there was something unusual I probably wouldn't of noticed. What should I look for?

I couldn't, however, find bootinfoscript. Where is it?

Linux Guru
    I was using Mint to resize and it didn't work.
    I'm not sure if you were using the installed Mint or a Live CD of Mint. Using a Live CD to do this is much better than using an installed system, particularly if you are planning to make any changes to the installed systems partition.

The grub.cfg file contains the boot menu, it is in the /boot/grub directory but I guess you found it. The menu entry listings you see in this file are what you see when you boot grub. There won't be any error messages in it. If you would need to do something like an 'update-grub' you should see messages. No need for that now.

Since you indicate you can boot Mint, are you able to boot windows? The bootinfoscript is at the site below, you need to run it from Mint but if you can boot windows as well as Mint, there is no need. It does contain some useful information so you might run it and just save the file. Might come in handy later. If you can't be sure to read the instructions in the link in the Description box at the page link below:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/bootinfoscript/

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by yancek View Post
    I'm not sure if you were using the installed Mint or a Live CD of Mint. Using a Live CD to do this is much better than using an installed system, particularly if you are planning to make any changes to the installed systems partition.

The grub.cfg file contains the boot menu, it is in the /boot/grub directory but I guess you found it. The menu entry listings you see in this file are what you see when you boot grub. There won't be any error messages in it. If you would need to do something like an 'update-grub' you should see messages. No need for that now.

Since you indicate you can boot Mint, are you able to boot windows? The bootinfoscript is at the site below, you need to run it from Mint but if you can boot windows as well as Mint, there is no need. It does contain some useful information so you might run it and just save the file. Might come in handy later. If you can't be sure to read the instructions in the link in the Description box at the page link below:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/bootinfoscript/
    I cant run windows, I cant even restart my computer and boot via my hard drive without going back to grub rescue.

I downloaded bootinfoscript, but im having difficulty getting it to run. Honestly, im struggling to get anything to run. I have extracted the file, double clicked on the executable text file and then click run. But nothing seems to happen.

Just Joined!
    I managed to work it out. Here are the results.
    Boot Info Script 0.61 [1 April 2012]

============================= Boot Info Summary: ===============================

=> Grub2 (v1.99) is installed in the MBR of /dev/sda and looks at sector 1 of
    the same hard drive for core.img. core.img is at this location and looks
    in partition 94 for .

sda1: __________________________________________________ ________________________

File system: ntfs
    Boot sector type: Windows Vista/7: NTFS
    Boot sector info: No errors found in the Boot Parameter Block.
    Operating System:
    Boot files: /BOOTMGR /BOOT/BCD

sda2: __________________________________________________ ________________________

Operating System:
    Boot files: /bootmgr /Boot/BCD

sda3: __________________________________________________ ________________________

Operating System: Windows 7
    Boot files: /Windows/System32/winload.exe /wubildr /wubildr.mbr

sda4: __________________________________________________ ________________________

File system: Extended Partition
    Boot sector type: Unknown
    Boot sector info:

sda5: __________________________________________________ ________________________

File system:
    Boot sector type: -
    Boot sector info:
    Mounting failed: mount: unknown filesystem type ''

sda6: __________________________________________________ ________________________

File system:
    Boot sector type: -
    Boot sector info:
    Mounting failed: mount: unknown filesystem type ''
    mount: unknown filesystem type ''

============================ Drive/Partition Info: =============================

Drive: sda __________________________________________________ ___________________

Disk /dev/sda: 320.1 GB, 320072933376 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 38913 cylinders, total 625142448 sectors
    Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 4096 bytes

Partition Boot Start Sector End Sector # of Sectors Id System

/dev/sda1 2,048 27,265,023 27,262,976 27 Hidden NTFS (Recovery Environment)
    /dev/sda2 * 27,265,024 27,469,823 204,800 7 NTFS / exFAT / HPFS
    /dev/sda3 27,469,824 223,883,200 196,413,377 7 NTFS / exFAT / HPFS
    /dev/sda4 223,883,262 625,141,759 401,258,498 5 Extended
    /dev/sda5 223,883,264 617,428,991 393,545,728 83 Linux
    /dev/sda6 617,431,040 625,141,759 7,710,720 82 Linux swap / Solaris

"blkid" output: __________________________________________________ ______________

Device UUID TYPE LABEL

/dev/loop0 squashfs
    /dev/sda1 7A465E86465E42D5 ntfs PQSERVICE
    /dev/sda2 58345ED7345EB7A8 ntfs SYSTEM RESERVED
    /dev/sda3 CAE0AC29E0AC1E27 ntfs Packard Bell
    /dev/sr0 iso9660 Linux Mint 15 MATE 64-bit

================================ Mount points: =================================

Device Mount_Point Type Options

/dev/loop0 /rofs squashfs (ro,noatime)
    /dev/sr0 /cdrom iso9660 (ro,noatime)

======================== Unknown MBRs/Boot Sectors/etc: ========================

Unknown BootLoader on sda4

00000000 ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff |................|
    00000130 ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff bc |................|
    00000140 a5 75 bc a5 75 bc a5 75 bc a5 75 bc a5 75 ff ff |.u..u..u..u..u..|
    00000150 ff ff ff ff bc a5 75 bc a5 75 bc a5 75 bc a5 75 |......u..u..u..u|
    00000160 ff ff ff bc a5 75 bc a5 75 bc a5 75 bc a5 75 bc |.....u..u..u..u.|
    00000170 a5 75 bc a5 75 bc a5 75 bc a5 75 bc a5 75 bc a5 |.u..u..u..u..u..|
    00000180 75 bc a5 75 bc a5 75 bc a5 75 bc a5 75 bc a5 75 |u..u..u..u..u..u|
    00000190 bc a5 75 bc a5 75 bc a5 75 bc a5 75 bc a5 75 bc |..u..u..u..u..u.|
    000001a0 a5 75 bc a5 75 bc a5 75 a5 52 08 a5 52 08 a5 52 |.u..u..u.R..R..R|
    000001b0 08 a5 52 08 a5 52 08 a5 52 08 a5 52 08 a5 00 fe |..R..R..R..R....|
    000001c0 ff ff 83 fe ff ff 02 00 00 00 00 08 75 17 00 fe |............u...|
    000001d0 ff ff 05 fe ff ff 02 08 75 17 00 b0 75 00 00 00 |........u...u...|
    000001e0 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 |................|
    000001f0 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 55 aa |..............U.|

=============================== StdErr Messages: ===============================

No volume groups found

I cant see anything relating to mint, is that the problem?

Linux Guru
    I cant see anything relating to mint, is that the problem?
    Yes. The only reference to Mint is the Live CD: "/dev/sr0 iso9660 Linux Mint 15 MATE 64-bit". If you look at that line you see "MATE 64-bit" at the end. Is your computer hardware 64-bit? If it's not, then the Mint you have won't work on it. If it is 64-bit, it's a different problem. You have the Mint Grub bootloader installed to the master boot record of your hard drive. This is a tiny section of the drive and Grub (like most bootloaders) requres a lot more space for its files. Those files are on the Mint partition which is sda5.

If you want to just boot windows, you will need a windows installation CD/DVD or you might try an online search to repair the windows bootloader.

You mentioned earlier you could see the grub.cfg file. Was that the file on the Mint CD or are you sure it was on the hard drive. To check whether the files are still on sda5 for mint you could do the following by opening a terminal and typing: sudo mkdir /mnt/sda5, hit the enter key and then type: sudo mount /dev/sda5 /mnt/sda5, again hit the enter key. If this reports an error, post it as it will probably mean reinstalling. Were you able to use Mint successfully for any time after the installation?

The other option which will probably be the quickest is to reinstall Mint. The filesystem is messed up, no idea what happened? Make sure you select the 'Something Else' option when installing Mint and also make sure you select sda5 to install to. You already have a swap so that should be no problem. Leave the default on Device for bootloader installation to /dev/sda.