Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Linux Mint Forums ? View topic - Teac CA-200 Card Reader I'd help but my external multi card reader works just fine in Mint 14 on this laptop. It is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Linux Mint Forums ? View topic - Teac CA-200 Card Reader

I'd help but my external multi card reader works just fine in Mint 14 on this laptop. It is a

Vivitar VIV-RW-50 Card Reader - Newegg.com

And works great in Puppy, Ubuntu, AntiX, MX-14, and SolydX. Even with my XD card camera drive. Which are rare as hens teeth. It only has pictures and I let the camera format it.

Code:
    , it just gives me an error message that the application necessary to mount them is unknown.
    Stab in the dark here.

Since you do see the files. What does it say in file properties? My experience. If the card reader mounts them. Then the problem is past the card reader.
    Like the file in question.

Also with the card reader and a card plugged in

sudo fdisk -l
    Code:
    sudo blkid
    Then maybe

Code:
    ll /media/<user_name>
    username =your user name

To show members permissons on files mounted with the adapter and card plugged in.

Kinda a wonderment to me also. I run some minimal distros that don't hold your hand on file mounting.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    Code:
    Disk /dev/sda: 320.1 GB, 320072933376 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 38913 cylinders, total 625142448 sectors
    Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x00087fee

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
    /dev/sda1   *        2048   605468671   302733312   83  Linux
    /dev/sda2       605470718   625141759     9835521    5  Extended
    /dev/sda5       605470720   625141759     9835520   82  Linux swap / Solaris
    Code:
    sudo blkid
    Code:
    /dev/sda1: UUID="bb64d111-79c7-438b-92f3-5011874b00c2" TYPE="ext4" 
    /dev/sda5: UUID="346df21f-1e07-4a2d-85bf-c57c0a9cce6b" TYPE="swap"
    Code:
    ll /media/username
    Code:
    total 12
    drwxr-x---+ 3 root root 4096 Apr 24 18:53 .
    drwxr-xr-x  4 root root 4096 Apr 20 23:39 ..
    drwxr-xr-x  3 root root 4096 Apr 24 13:06 USB
    I also went into properties on the card I would use most, and it listed the correct card
    Teac USB HS-SD Card
    , but under Type, it says
    unknown type (application/octet-stream)
    . When I try to open it in the command line, it gives me the same response as when I try to open it as Administrator,
    Unable to determine the program to run.
    The item you selected cannot be open with administrator powers because the correct application cannot be determined.
    Someone on the Linux Mint Forum seems to have taken offense at my coming to this forum for help none of them offered. Could you please tell me why I drew such a reaction?

I do not see your card reader or inserted card in blkid or fdisk -l. Did you run that with the card inserted?
    As far as that Mint forum member. No telling what goes on in the mind of Hall Monitor mindsets with elitist attitudes.

Also when you ran ll /media/userrname. Is the USB your Teac and sd card?

I am wondering why fdisk and blkid would not list the card but ll /media/username would.

unknown type (application/octet-stream)
    That is a common error that covers tons of different file structures from PDF to images. Kinda hard to untangle that.

Lastly. If it mounts. fdisk and blkid will show something like /dev/sdb, /dev/sdc.........etc up to /dev/sdg from my personal experience.
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    I noticed that between fdisk and bfkid as well, but have not clue why it's happening. I did run it while the card was inserted. I haven't tried reformatting any card yet, as there is a lot of info on them. I guess I have it all back up on other devices though. I don't even know if that would work, though.

Off topic hat on.

I just made a impulse buy. Bought me a refurbished Acer Chromebook (ChromeOS) with dual core Celeron with 4 gig of ram for $120.00 total with sales tax. I bought it because the battery is guaranteed for at least 3.5 hours. I am hoping it is one of those 2 week, "crap, this aint like windows" type of returned chrome books with no user time on it.

I am going to have sell of a couple of my netbooks now that are atom n270.
    So I will be busy this weekend trying to recoup some dollars.
    Then busy exploring options of putting in a bigger ssd and options of what to run off of SD class 10 flash on that beast.
    Plus see how bios is locked or what.

Yeah. If it was me. Anything on those cards I could backup to a external drive, like the 3TB I have that replaced the 1TB I had bounce off the floor
    a week ago and has chapped my hide trying to fix. It is a target practice 1TB hard drive now. I'd backup even using my Windows 7 Laptop that
    I do bike tuning with if Linux won't cooperate.

After backing up. I'd insert the adapter with the card and open Gparted and see if it saw it.
    You know what?

It just hit me. Can Gparted see it. What does it say about it? There is a mount using right click in gparted.
    Try it and see if then you can see the files in Linux.

Backup 1st before trying anything 1st though. You don't wanna lose the files.
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by mandomank View Post

Someone on the Linux Mint Forum seems to have taken offense at my coming to this forum for help none of them offered. Could you please tell me why I drew such a reaction?
    Re-read what I wrote in my answer to your post on Linux Mint forum and you will see that I merely bumped it back to the top of the forum so they'd see it.

Bump = push the post back to the top of a forum so it can be easily seen.

Google what 'bumping' means before lashing out at people who are trying to help you. OK?

Quote Originally Posted by turtlebay777 View Post
    Re-read what I wrote in my answer to your post on Linux Mint forum and you will see that I merely bumped it back to the top of the forum so they'd see it.

Bump = push the post back to the top of a forum so it can be easily seen.

Google what 'bumping' means before lashing out at people who are trying to help you. OK?
    I did not know what you did or even that it was you.
    I was responding to a generic question.
    I think you know by my response I had no clue on the Mint thread in question.

So I hope you don't take offense at a generic response to a generic question.
    With no idea of content. I was going by OP's statement only.
    I apologize if you did.
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    Holy smokes, can't picture a 1T drive hitting a floor.

There isn't anything in Gparted, at least if I'm using the correct command with "gedit". I did notice that in /mnt there is a complete folder labeled "usb-TEAC_USB_HS-SD_Card_00000206E231-0:3". Nothing in it either, though.

Sorry turtlebay777. I always thought "Bump" meant EOL, or something similar. My bad.

I did not know what you did or even that it was you.
    I was responding to a generic question.
    I think you know by my response I had no clue on the Mint thread in question.

So I hope you don't take offense at a generic response to a generic question.
    With no idea of content. I was going by OP's statement only.
    I apologize if you did.
    I don't think he was talking to you, rokytnji.

Just Joined!
    Another thing, when I try to open the card in the drive, I get an error message telling me that it doesn't handle MIME type files. Isn't that Windows? I did Google that, and am trying to follow a way suggested for setting up a MIME Registry. Man, I'm almost in over my head with this.

There isn't anything in Gparted, at least if I'm using the correct command with "gedit".
    Maybe I'm reading it the wrong way, but what would gparted have to do with gedit? Gparted is a partition editor, while gedit is a text editor.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast