Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am trying to install mint maya on an old laptop dual boot with XP. Xp is installed. I booted to Linux Live CD. I started this about an hour ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

how long should install take

I am trying to install mint maya on an old laptop dual boot with XP. Xp is installed. I booted to Linux Live CD.
    I started this about an hour ago.
    I have done this before and assume my lack of success is because I terminated it before it was finished.
    It SEEMED to go thru everything and now it is back to the original boot screen with Computer Home & Install Linux Mint
    with an orb mouse pointer going round and round and round.....

I see no disk activity either HDD or CD.
    am I hung or does it take this long?

Just Joined!
    OK it isn't working - I am missing something............

I boot to Live CD and select install, go thru all the screens and it says it is doing its thing then I get the permanent orb pointer.
    If I restart after 2.5 hours it boots to XP and there in nothing in the linux folders using linux reader - the folders r there so they were created but r all empty.

no install.

what am i missing?

Maybe partitioning and flagging the root partition ( / ) as bootable?
    Gparted Tutorial

Other possibilities are a bad download and/or a bad burn of the ISO.
    MD5sum
    Burn the ISO slowly -- about 4X or the minimum of the burner

If still stumped, provide details outlined in the links provided, please, plus your hardware specs.
    "What you think about me is none of my business"

Linux Guru
    I have done this before and assume my lack of success is because I terminated it before it was finished.
    I'm not clear about that. If you terminate the installation before it was finished then obviously it's not installed. Did you mean something else?

it is back to the original boot screen with Computer Home & Install Linux Mint
    Since you have xp installed, it might be a very old computer. Did you compare your hardware with the minimum hardware requirements for Mint? Which release of Mint, the current mint 16? Did you verify the download with an md5checksum, method usually explained on the download site.

If this is after a reboot, you are still using the Live CD. Assuming it is not, something went wrong as you would get a message at the end of a successful installation indicating it was finished and for you to reboot. If you don't see this, something went very wrong. Mostly likely possibilities are incompatible hardware, bad download or bad burn.

If I restart after 2.5 hours it boots to XP and there in nothing in the linux folders using linux reader - the folders r there so they were created but r all empty.
    I'd never heard of Linux Reader so googling it to me to the page below. Is that what you are using on xp?

Access to Ext 2/3/4, HFS and ReiserFS from Windows

If the directories are empty, then it didn't work. Also, if it boots directly to xp, you didn't install the Mint bootloader to the master boot record nor did you configure the xp bootloader to boot Mint. I'd start by trying to verify the iso is good with an md5checksum. From what you've posted, your best option is probably to download again and verify the iso and burn at a slow speed. Check the minimum hardware requirements for whichever Mint release you are using.

Unless you have an unusually old and slow processor, it would probably take about 30-40 minutes to install. Longer if you are inexperienced and being careful and read everything.

Just Joined!
    The Linux Mint Blog Blog Archive Linux Mint 13 ?Maya? released!

System requirements:

x86 processor (Linux Mint 64-bit requires a 64-bit processor. Linux Mint 32-bit works on both 32-bit and 64-bit processors).

512 MB RAM (1GB recommended for a comfortable usage).

5 GB of disk space

Graphics card capable of 800600 resolution
    CD/DVD drive or USB port

Does your old XP machine match these requirements? If not that's why the installation hangs.