Find the answer to your Linux question:
Since I found a suitable way to replace Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator, I may as well see if there’s a way to replace AutoHotKey’s Autocorrect feature. I never really used ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

AutoHotKey Substitute

Since I found a suitable way to replace Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator, I may as well see if there’s a way to replace AutoHotKey’s Autocorrect feature. I never really used AHK for anything else, but the Autocorrect’s ability to be used in all applications was very handy.

Unfortunately, for some reason, AHK in Wine doesn’t work, or at least I can’t find where the files are to edit the Autocorrect file. There is another version of AHK for Linux, but the programmer won’t fix his version to use or adapt the Autocorrect script, because his version is more powerful. Illogical. If it’s so powerful he should be able to import the file without much effort.

I came across a reference to Iron Key, but the support forum looks dead and it doesn’t come with instructions on how to install it.

Linux Enthusiast
    I know what AutoHotKey is, but can you explain what the Autocorrect feature is. I never used it. Perhaps there's another way to accomplish the same thing.

It comes with AHK as a separate file. It’s a list of commonly misspelled words compiled from different sources like Microsoft Office, OpenOffice, Wikipedia and user suggestions. You can even add words that you have trouble with personally, foreign words that use unusual diacritics (paczki to pączki) or shorthand for symbols (like changing <3- to ♠, #aqua to ♒, or JpLOL to (笑)). Even grammatical errors like “cleverer” to “more clever”. It even has a hot key to add words on the fly . . . at least, it does in Windows.

You install it and it provides auto-correction to all applications on your system. Which is very handy for applications like Notepad that don’t have this feature.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    That either sounds great or a reason to throw the computer across the room

It worked well, but when I tried to install it using Wine I couldn’t find the files to edit. I tried installing AHK directly, but it wouldn’t. I*have all of the files that I customized, just no way to use them. 8-(

Linux Enthusiast
    I use OpenOffice. It keeps it's autocorrect files in /usr/lib/openoffice/share/autocorrect. They have .dat extensions, but really they are zipped xml files. Easy enough to modify.

Yes, I know, but AHK*has the ability to enable all applications on your system to use the same AutoCorrect file--even your browser. That means it includes correcting spelling errors etc. when you post on forums. OpenOffice can’t help with that.

I found a way to install AHK. I used my virtual XP to install it to an external drive. Then in Linux I moved it all to the .wine folder and can run it uder Wine from there. The only problem is I still can’t get the AutoCorrect script to run, because I don’t remember and I can’t get the AHK help file to work. It comes up blank. The help file is an old CHM file.

I just remembered. Those files won’t work under Win 7 either, so you need a DLL file from XP installed in the Windows/System32 folder of Win 7. I’ll try installing that through Wine as well. Would I need to use Winetricks?

That wasn’t for CHM files, but HLP files. Searched for the solution and found that I solved only for Microsoft HLP files only. Then looked for Linux and found out about xCHM. Installed it and read the help file for AHK.
    Last edited by WhitePhoenix; 05-18-2014 at 08:55 AM. Reason: New Information