Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I could not find an Evolution email forum, so I am asking here because Evolution is the email client that I am using with Linux Mint 13. When TRASH (old ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Is emptied email from Evolution email client stored/saved

I could not find an Evolution email forum, so I am asking here because Evolution is the email client that I am using with Linux Mint 13.

When TRASH (old deleted emails) is emptied in Evolution email client are those deleted emails stored elsewhere (in a file/folder) ?

If so, what folder and file and can I safely deleted those old stored emails and will the folder and file for this storage be automatically rebuilt on the next occassion that I empty the email trash ?

Thanks.

Linux Engineer
    Are you using IMAP or POP?

When Trash is emptied the files are deleted. I use IMAP with Evolution but expect that POP will allow this as well: instead of emptying the trash you can copy them to another folder. Since IMAP keeps files on the server until explicitly deleted or moved locally I would make that a folder under "On This Computer". With POP you're working locally anyway.

Just Joined!
    The reason I ask is because when I empty the trash in Evolution the messages that flash at the bottom left hand corner of the screen "seem" to indicate that perhaps the deleted/trash emails are being copied/moved to another folder somewhere on the hard drive (outside of the folders included in Evolution by default) - am I wrong about this ?

Thanks.

Linux Engineer
    On mine (3.10.4) they are deleted from the system.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by gregm View Post
    On mine (3.10.4) they are deleted from the system.
    How do you know this ?

Are you saying this because they are just no longer CURRENTLY viewable from within the Evolution program ?

How do you know that they are not being stored in some file on the hard drive from which they could possibly be recovered ?

Thanks.

Linux Engineer
    It does clearly state the files are being permanently removed using IMAP anyway. I can go on the server and see the files are deleted for any that I haven't transferred locally.

If you are using POP it may behave differently and in fact unless you tell a POP client to download and delete it will usually leave the files on the server.

Locally Evolution maintains files in ~/.local/share/evolution and ~/.cache/evolution/. If you think your deleted files are still around you can spend time looking for them but I'm inclined to believe the application when it tells me the files are being permanently removed.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by gregm View Post
    If you think your deleted files are still around you can spend time looking for them but I'm inclined to believe the application when it tells me the files are being permanently removed.
    Yes, I am using POP. I am not referring to the email server but to my local machine.

Where does the application state that "the files are being permanently removed" ? When I hit empty trash, I see no prompt telling me that files are permanently gone.

Thanks.

Linux Engineer
    With IMAP I get a popup that states: Are you sure you want to permanently remove all the deleted messages in folder "Trash"? It also states: If you continue you won't be able to recover these messages.

The popup has an option to disable it so you no longer see the message.

Just Joined!
    Gregm:

Thanks.

Just Joined!
    Actually, I am not sure that this problem is resolved.

When I do the "EMPTY TRASH" function in Evolution one of the messages that is flash very quickly at the bottom left hand corner of the Evolution screen says something about "FOLDER STORED".

If the empty trash is not being moved/stored in some hidden folder/place on the hard drive, what does this message that is flashed "folder stored" mean ?

Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast