Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
I'm having a few browser related problems with my recently installed Linux Mint 16 OS. I cannot upload photos to ebay as no standard uploader appears when I try to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Question Problem using EBAY Standard Uploader on new Linux Mint 16 OS / 32 bit.

I'm having a few browser related problems with my recently installed Linux Mint 16 OS.
    I cannot upload photos to ebay as no standard uploader appears when I try to post an item.

I have a Toshiba Tecra & installed 32 bit Linux Mint Cinnamon 16 myself.

My computer talents are fairly limited!

PLS Help!

Linux Engineer
    What browser are you using? Do you have pop-ups blocked?
    narniagirl likes this.

Linux Guru
    Support for Linux Mint 16 will end next month. You might be better off downloading and installing Mint 17 which will have support for 5 years.

Try using a user agent switcher in your browser.
    It will be a addon for your browser.
    It will fool ebay site into thinking you are using Safari or IE.
    narniagirl likes this.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Does the Mint version of Firefox have NoScript enabled? If so allow any ebay domains to run JavaScript
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent

Linux Mint 16 / probs with ebay ..

Quote Originally Posted by gregm View Post
    What browser are you using? Do you have pop-ups blocked?
    Googlechrome.

And yes, I do have pop ups blocked!

Will try unblocking them!

THANKYOU.

Quote Originally Posted by yancek View Post
    Support for Linux Mint 16 will end next month. You might be better off downloading and installing Mint 17 which will have support for 5 years.
    You mean start all over again?

Quote Originally Posted by rokytnji View Post
    Try using a user agent switcher in your browser.
    It will be a addon for your browser.
    It will fool ebay site into thinking you are using Safari or IE.
    OK, will try this too.

THX!

Quote Originally Posted by elija View Post
    Does the Mint version of Firefox have NoScript enabled? If so allow any ebay domains to run JavaScript
    I use google chrome not firefox.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Chrome also has a JavaScript blocking extension although I don't know if it will be installed by default. It's been a while since I used Chrome / Chromium but I think it looks like a pyramid somewhere near the address bar.

As for upgrading, Mint may offer you the option to upgrade to version 17. The upgrade may or may not succeed so if you try it make sure that you have your data backed up first; you're doing that anyway right? Personally, I have never had an *Ubuntu distribution upgrade leave me with a boot-able computer so I have learned the hard way to make sure I have a working USB Key of the latest version before I try it. I know for many other people it works flawlessly.

The main problem with non-LTS versions of Ubuntu, Mint and anything else based on Ubuntu is that Canonical only provide updates for a ludicrously short nine months whereas it used to be a more reasonable eighteen months. I guess they figured they were spending to much time, money and bandwidth supporting derivatives which use their repositories. I could be really cynical and suggest that it was also done to try and make it too much work for the often superior hobbyist derivatives to keep up with... but I won't!

A nice simple backup process is to get yourself a decent external drive and install back-in-time from the repositories. If you are not using KDE then install the gnome version. I have a couple of these that I use for backups and they seem perfectly reliable so far. A good rule of thumb is if taking your backups is a pain then you are doing it wrong. I use back-in-time to take a backup every two hours and I rarely notice it happening.

[edit]

Apparently, the way to upgrade from Mint 16 to Mint 17 is to open a terminal and run the following. When you are asked for a password it will look like nothing is being entered.

Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    The first two commands make sure that you are up to date with the latest patches from the current version and can be skipped if you are sure that you are. This can take a few hours to run and in my experience (with Ubuntu not Mint) fails badly. I'm actually trying it in Mint using a VM at the moment so it will be interesting to see if it works; and whether or not I like the latest Cinnamon.

[/edit]

[edit 2]
    It appears there is an additional step. BEFORE running the dist-upgrade command run the following:

Code:
    cd /etc/apt/sources.d
    sudo nano official-package-repositories.list
    Change every occurrence of petra to qiana and every occurance of saucy to trusty ignoring the warning to not modify the file. Once you have saved the file, run the updat and then dist-upgrade commands. On a base install it will need to grab nearly a GB of data from the web so make yourself a nice cuppa.

Did I mention backups before doing any of this
    [/edit 2]
    Last edited by elija; 06-07-2014 at 02:27 PM.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast