Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, Looking for advice for disabling message box asking for password to unlock keyring when OS boots up. I'm running Mint 15 on a Compac 6910p with 2GB of ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unlocking Keyring

Hi all, Looking for advice for disabling message box asking for password to unlock keyring when OS boots up. I'm running Mint 15 on a Compac 6910p with 2GB of RAM with a 80GB HD. It is not dual boot system.On install I requested that OS automatically login. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Jack

i remember i once simply pressed enter in the password fields, meaning blank or no password, when the keyring dialog came up the very first time.
    the keyring app then threw a warning, but after that it did not bother me anymore.
    be warned that this is insecure.
    i also remember that it wasn't easy/possible to achieve this afterwards (i.e. changing the password to blank after it has been set).

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by nihili View Post
    i remember i once simply pressed enter in the password fields, meaning blank or no password, when the keyring dialog came up the very first time.
    the keyring app then threw a warning, but after that it did not bother me anymore.
    be warned that this is insecure.
    i also remember that it wasn't easy/possible to achieve this afterwards (i.e. changing the password to blank after it has been set).
    Thanks nihili.

Shouldn't this be managed by pam these days? Do you have pamd running on your systems?

@purple52:
    we forgot to mention that the keyring is a security/convenience feature that is independent of the user login.
    enabling auto login does not mean that you never have to enter any passwords anymore.

you can set the keyring password to blank.
    Go to System/Preferences/Passwords and Encryption Keys, right click the Login and click Change Password. Put in your old password and leave the new one blank.