Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

How do you make a linux mint 17 custom iso?

I've been trying to make a custom linux mint 17 oem iso for usb booting but I can't seem to get it to work. I've tried the ubuntu customization kit but for some reason I can't do anything with the package manager on it because it keeps giving me the following error:
    Code:
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    You might want to run 'apt-get -f install' to correct these:
    The following packages have unmet dependencies:
     libpam-systemd : Depends: systemd-services (= 204-5ubuntu20)
     vim : Depends: vim-runtime (= 2:7.4.052-1ubuntu3) but it is not going to be installed
    E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).
    (apt-get -f install doesn't fix the problem).
    Also I tried following the instructions here Linux Mint Forums ? View topic - Remastered Mint CD/DVD but then when I burn the image it doesn't boot up.

Does anyone know?

You can try to install remastersys, tweak the installed system and then use it to create a custom ISO. I've gotten it to work on Lubuntu 14.04 as well as Xubuntu 14.04 so it should be adaptable to Mint 17. I think Mint gave up supporting the remastering capability a few releases back...

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Ok so I've figured out that the oem iso image I downloaded for mint isn't actually an iso image, but is actually an "x86 boot sector".
    Does anyone know of a way to turn an iso into an "x86 boot sector" file?

I've tried remastersys before and it didn't work.

What exactly is an OEM ISO image? You go to the Mint site and download the ISO of your choice, what am I missing?

How did you try remastersys? I patched it into a few Buntu based 14.04 distros and got it working just fine. There are quite a few dependent programs you have to add though...

Quote Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
    What exactly is an OEM ISO image? You go to the Mint site and download the ISO of your choice, what am I missing?

How did you try remastersys? I patched it into a few Buntu based 14.04 distros and got it working just fine. There are quite a few dependent programs you have to add though...
    Basically it's an iso you use for creating an oem install. That way I can install it on a computer I might want to sell (or in this case give away) so that I don't have to set up a password for them and have them call me later on asking what the password is.

As for remastersys I remember installing it before on mint a while ago and I remember running into some pretty serious problems (though I can't remember what they were to be honest). I'll see if I can install the Ubuntu version and get it working.

Set it up with a generic user and password and tell the buyer/receiver how to change it.

If you're not welded to Mint, MX-14 has a snapshot application which will make an ISO image from your installed system that you can write to a USB stick. It works very well and I've used it a number of times. The installer will preserve the backed up "home" data if you want it to as well. You can read about it from the links here:

http://www.mepiscommunity.org/mx

It is what remastersys could have evolved into had the developer continued work on it...

Ok so I tried remastersys, and it generated an iso image, and I burned that to usb flash drive, and tried to boot off of it. So far it has blinking cursor at the top right and nothing else.

Spend some time on this page and especially read the comments. I got this to work in a few 14.04 based systems.

Black Lab Image Creator: Black Lab Imager 1.1 Source Code available today