Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
hello guys, new user here and i love linux mint 17 very much! installation was great and everthing seems to be running very smooth. I only have 1 complaint which ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

runing out of ideas..please help guys!

hello guys, new user here and i love linux mint 17 very much! installation was great and everthing seems to be running very smooth. I only have 1 complaint which is a weird bug i have every few boot ups. I turn the system on and boot up goes fine. once i get to login screen for username and password the cursor wont move. The box with password is blinking so i know system hasent froze. It seems keyboard and mouse are unresponsive.It takes a couple boot ups and i get it to finally work fine and log in.Once i am ln no problems what so ever. System info- linux mint 17 cinnamon 64-bit. cinnamon 2.2.13 linux kernel 3.13.0-24-generic. processor-amd a6 4400m apu with radeon hd graphics x1. graphics card-amd trinity radeon hd 7520G. Any help will be great guys. Thanks in advanced.
    p.s. this happens every version linuxs i download.

Linux Newbie
    Sounds hardware related since it happens with every distro. Flaky hard drive? RAM chip going bad? I have a similar equipped laptop and no such problems at all...

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
    Sounds hardware related since it happens with every distro. Flaky hard drive? RAM chip going bad? I have a similar equipped laptop and no such problems at all...
    i would agree but windows when i had it on here last week worked 100% fine no problems only when i switched to linux. the laptop is barley 2 years old so if anything were to go it be really pre mature no?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    I have heard of others having this issue. The solution was:

Open a terminal and enter
    Code:
    sudo vi /etc/default/grub
    and then change the line GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="" to
    Code:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="i8042.nomux=1 i8042.reset"
    then run
    Code:
    sudo update-grub
    reboot the system.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by gregm View Post
    I have heard of others having this issue. The solution was:

Open a terminal and enter
    Code:
    sudo vi /etc/default/grub
    and then change the line GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="" to
    Code:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="i8042.nomux=1 i8042.reset"
    then run
    Code:
    sudo update-grub
    reboot the system.
    it seems when i go change the grub to reset it wont let me type. i try add to line and nothing happens??? confused

Linux Guru
    Are you editing in vi or some other editor? To enter edit mode in vi first hit the "i" key for insert mode. You can use any editor your comfortable with but you'll need to sudo.

Just Joined!
    it says a edit session for this program crashed.??

Linux Guru
    Vi saves edits in a special file which it deletes when properly exited. If you are unfamiliar with vi use a different editor. You will need root privileges.
    andrethegeek likes this.

Just Joined!
    i was able to read up on how use vi. i changed it, got it to save, and updated grub. thanks. hopefully next few boot ups i will see if this problem is sloved. and what exactly did that do?

Linux Guru
    Grub adds the text after GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX to the command line for the menu entries. The i8042 is a mouse and keyboard controller. i8042.nomux=1 tells it not to use multiplexing and i8042.reset resets the controller.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast