Find the answer to your Linux question:
(Mint Debian 17) Turns out the new LXDawesome is frikkin awesome. I was fiddling around (i cant seem to startx unless in sudo or root anymore) and i ended up ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

i accidentally merged LXDE & Awesome into a hybrid window manager

(Mint Debian 17)

Turns out the new LXDawesome is frikkin awesome. I was fiddling around (i cant seem to startx unless in sudo or root anymore) and i ended up with an LXDE tiling window manager, with the LXDE menus and the Awesome top-bar and tiling feature.. It looks brilliant although i can only run it in root/sudo.. i noticed the window managers started mixing when i installed openbox and another box-based xserver and started mixing around at bootup. suddenly when i ran LXDE i still had open box right click menu and desktop......

Problem is, is have no clue how i actually did this and im trying to do the same on my other pc...... Preferably on normal user. Any ideas? The other Pc im trying to do this on (remotely on teamviewer) is running Lubuntu.

Id give you a screenshot but my laptop is very confusing these days, and i cant figure out how to get the entire screen into it, just windows. I also managed to lock my Lubuntu pc by copying /etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE/"autostart" to /etc/xdg/autostart/"LXDE.txt"

EDIT/Update:

i copied the root .config folder contents into the home .config folder contents. the window manager worked (awesome/lxde)

can this cause any problems? the regular users .config folder is basically the same as root's, although i dont seem to have root access on it. which is good.
    Last edited by mindsword; 07-29-2014 at 12:34 PM.

Linux User
    I have no idea about LXDE or Awesome, but as for your XServer not running except by root:

Your XServer needs to be owned by root and have suid permissions (chmod u+s FILE), otherwise it cannot grab your hardware by the shorthairs to do what it needs to, and will not run as normal user. It also needs to be readable and executable by everyone (chmod go+rx FILE).

Peace and Cheer.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Miven View Post
    I have no idea about LXDE or Awesome, but as for your XServer not running except by root:

Your XServer needs to be owned by root and have suid permissions (chmod u+s FILE), otherwise it cannot grab your hardware by the shorthairs to do what it needs to, and will not run as normal user. It also needs to be readable and executable by everyone (chmod go+rx FILE).

Peace and Cheer.
    thanks dude. ill try this if i get that config working again ever... had to reinstall

im surprised it lasted as long as it did. the config was so messed up its unbelievable (system wide, not just xserver). the last moments were epic.. you shouldve seen it, it was linux history.