Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

How to update kernel?

I am using Linux Mint 17.2 Rafaela. My desktop environment is Cinammon.

Linux recognises my touchpad as a mouse. Hence I cannot disable the touchpad when typing which drives me insane and I have lost a load of work because of it!

I'm having the same problem as drivers - Mint 17: Touchpad recognized as mouse - Unix & Linux Stack Exchange

I entered "uname -a" and the terminal returns: "3.17.1-031701-generic"

I tried the solution for the 64 bit option. It had no effect. My laptop still recognises my touchpad as a mouse.

I am assuming I will have to update to a newer kernel.
    How do I do this? Which commands do I have to enter?

Thanks.

Google "new kernel for linux mint", pick one, and follow instructions...
    Are you a clueless Kali user? If you can't get Kali running on your own, it ain't the right distro for you.

Got excited that I finally have a reply (been waiting on another forum for a day now)

Disappointed

Do you think I haven't already tried that? -.-

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I have been having bad or irrelevant results so far. There are a dozen different kernel versions of which I have no idea how to differentiate.

It returns a ton of links, read them and decide what you want to do.

If you wont take the time yo read and understand, things will likely go badly.
    Are you a clueless Kali user? If you can't get Kali running on your own, it ain't the right distro for you.

Also I am hesitant to trust some of the links on some results.

How do you know whether to trust a particular source for kernels? Is there not an official site for this stuff?

Worth pointing out I am knackered right now so don't know how much sense I am making. And also probably sound lazy - I am not.

Quote Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
    If you wont take the time yo read and understand, things will likely go badly.
    True that.

You really need to do some research, do you know what kernel you want?

This was the second link and it has good info. The source for the kernels is the ubuntu kernel server...

Kernel Upgrade 4.2.5 in Linux Mint / Ubuntu | PCsteps.com

(I'd use 4.2.6 vs 4.2.5 though)

This is not something I'd try to do if I was knackered...

Also, do not, repeat do not remove your existing kernel until you are sure all is well. I ALWAYS keep at least one older kernel installed.

Finally, a new kernel may not fix your issue. I'm just answering the question you asked.

-->
    Install synaptic if it is not already included. It is an easy to use graphical front end for aptitude.

Search for "linux kernel". It will return tons of results. Pick an image, generic and header that go together. Install them. Do not uninstall the old ones. If you pick ones that are *newer* than your current version then the system will "automagically" set things up to boot that kernel first.

This is just the first bare tip of the toe to playing with kernels. There's a lot more to it. Before you start playing with it make sure that your boot sequence does not hide everything so that you'll have access to the tools to boot the older kernel in case this borks something.